· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Headache....part one

0 Not allowed!
    Why is it, the more I read, the more lost I get? I wrote about getting a 90 gallon aquarium. It came with an AC 110 and an AC 70. I was told two AC 110's would do the job. I decided to go with a black gravel substrate and have been told, by several people that have gravel, that I must get an UG filter.
    I read a very good post on here explaining the different types of filtration, and it was mentioned that UG filters don't do much except keep the water clear.

What do I do ? An AC 110 + AC 70 + UG filter, or, just go with 2 AC 110's?

Another part to this question....I plan on having some rocks in the tank, and was told to get egg grate to protect the bottom glass. I did. If I go with the UG filter, do I need the egg grate? Does it go under the filter or on top of it?

Awards Showcase

Wishing You the Very Best for the New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year - Celtic Fins Happy new year! - Brookfish happy new year! - The Red Severum All Sailors love coffee - jbeining75 
    Sailor - Brookfish cheers bud! - Crispy Happy Birthday bud! - Brookfish thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat congrats on motm - Lab_Rat 
    Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the nomination - Cliff Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff No Message - cer Thanks for the rep - Cliff 
    thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra Happy Birthday - KingFisher thanks for the rep:) Zebra pleco for you! - Northerly Merry Christmas - Cliff Just a Thanks! - Plecos 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    IMO go with the 2 110's or a 110 and a canister filter of some sort. That way if 1 filter goes down you will still have enough filtration for the tank. It also is good to alternate the filter maintenance. Stay away from the under gravel filters, more of a head ache then they are worth. Egg crate is a good idea if the rocks are fairly large or you intend to go with african cichlids as they ten to re aquascape as they want lol.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

0 Not allowed!
    Well.....looks like you have two people with the same opinion finally! LOL

Forget the UGF. If you have a lot of rock, it's a good idea to have egg crate to protect the glass but many don't. Perhaps for peace of mind? I also agree with the 2-110's but even for now, the 70 would work.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 11-04-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    A 90 gal would do better with a canister. Never heard of using a UGF because you have gravel. With the 110, and a canister the tank would be better filtered since canisters can hold a lot of bio-media compared to any HOB. Still, issue of cost does matter and canisters tend to cost more.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I go with a canister, any certain size or brand stand above the others? I'll probably get thrown out for this, but I saw a canister filter being sold on EBAY, for a 200 gallon tank, and have been considering.

0 Not allowed!
    They are expensive, but I'm a big fan of Eheim; well worth the investment. I have a few filters of theirs, a Classic and the Pro 3. Very durable, very quiet, and very powerful (with control over the flow rate).

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks ! Eheim Pro 3 is one I looked at a little while back. I'll check it out again.

0 Not allowed!
    Remember to buy more filtration than it is rated for. I'm using the Pro 3 on a 30 gallon. Massively over-filtered.

If I had a 100 gallon I'd probably put one cannister at each end.