· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For the fry, You use a cichlid egg tumbler as they use for mouth brooders or a bottle with a wide rim and an airstone. Just a drop of methylene blue. For the collection you can fashion killie type mops out of acrylic yarn and hang some on the tank sides and place a couple on the tank bottom. If you can expose the bottom or use a flat slate for the surface and put a mop on the bottom covering this spot. The corys will bred under the protection of the mops.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info. The yarn mop sounds like a great idea should it happen again (especially if none live this time). I posted another thread because I kind of panicked after doing something stupid. Heres an update though. I was removing fungus eggs and they were disappearing fast. Seems I missed that some disappeared because they hatched, not because I was removing them. So I figured it was a lost cause and dosed with methylene blue (the old stuff I have that was over 20 years old). According to the bottle 6ml was a proper dose but I used 1ml (which still made the tank darkish green, maybe because it was so old). I realized shortly after there were fry and was worried I poisoned the fish. So I stayed up till 4am trying to eliminate it (I have to work a couple of overnights so it was good to get on that sleep schedule anyways). I slowly changed water (a cup or two every 15 minutes or so). I ran the filter for very short periods (like 30 seconds) to get new water in there with the carbon. I also occationally poured a few cups of water from the tank into the filter being carfull not to scoop fry. I got a net bag, filled it with a little charchol, and stuffed an air line in it to draw water through it. The tank is clear now. I added an air powered sponge filter (that had cycled in my 55 gal for maybe a month). I have confirmed there are at least 4 fry (one is defective with a bent tail and swims in circles). They are so tiny and they hide I can not tell if there are more, much less tell if the ones I have seen are still alive. Funny thing is, I went to get fry food (got some kens 5-50 micron though I now wish I would have gone with the next size up as recommended). They had fresh methelene blue that expires in 4 years (I had called them before and they said they didn't). I got a bottle to have on hand. I also wanted frozen baby brine shrimp but the store that said they had them actually only had the regular, not the baby. I'm hoping the ones I saw survive (good enough), though a couple more would be nice if there are some hiding.

Thanks again for the help. Now to deal with how to feed....