· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have a fluval roma 125 and it came with a fluval u3 filter it says its for 90 - 150 litre tanks and i have a air stone in the tank... i treeted the tap water before i put it in the tank the fish were fine for 2 days and it happend over last night because when i turned the light on today they was all up the top of the tank and just under half the tank were dead

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    If the filter is new, then ammonia (fish waste) will rise rapidly and kill the fish. You need to do large daily water changes (75% or more) until the levels get and stay below 0.25 ppm ammonia. Then what level amount keeps the level at or below those numbers for 24 hours. The filter can take three to six weeks to cycle.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Put the sponges from your old filter in the new filter even if they don't fit (different kind of filter) they will put some good bacteria in your tank.
    30 gal Freshwater
    1 young Angel, 6 Pepper Corydoras, 5 Harlequin Rasbora 1 Bristle-nose Pleco

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would think just placing the filter media from other tank in new tank would help. Give it a couple weeks and I think you would accumulate enough BB in other areas to remove the old filter media. Water conditions can change very rapidly, even in larger tanks (though much quicker in smaller one), so never assume all is good on a water test completed more than 24 hours earlier. At least IMO I wouldn't trust it. When ever I'm looking at getting a new fish I check the water conditions just before I go to the store, even if my tank is mature and all has been fine for months.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 5 Blackskirt Tetras, 8 Red Wag Platy's, 2 Silver Hatchet's, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    Put the sponges from your old filter in the new filter even if they don't fit (different kind of filter) they will put some good bacteria in your tank.
    Yep, But this will only be beneficial if those sponges/media were never dried out and did not go more than a day or two between tanks. Any longer and the BB would have starved to death with no ammonia source.

When you rinsed your gravel with hot water did you dechlor that water/gravel before you added it to the tank? If not the Chloramines from the tap water could have killed your BB colony.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you know anyone that had an established tank you could trade a sponge with? Just a thought that's how I use to start my new tanks it would not cure it right away but with water changes it would sure help...
    30 gal Freshwater
    1 young Angel, 6 Pepper Corydoras, 5 Harlequin Rasbora 1 Bristle-nose Pleco

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Shocking to see that many die just over-night from Ammonia alone. I"m not so sure there...

It would not be the first time I've see an X-partner, or mischevious child poison an aquarium for either kicks or to get back at someone. Any chance this could have been the case? If so, do a full water change immediately.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i agree with all who have said your fish are dying from ammonia poisoning. the only way you could have moved those fish over and not lost the cycle and avoided this is if you moved all the sponges and filter media with them and put them in the new filters. moving the water did nothing as your beneficial bacteria lives in the media.
    and the only way those sponges and other filter media are going to be of any help to you now is if they remained wet and you moved with within 24 hours or so -- otherwise, so sorry, but you're starting from scratch.
    To save the remaining fish, you're going to have to test your water daily with an API liquid test kit and do 50% water changes whenever the ammonia and or nitrites approach .50 you need to do an immediate W/C.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

good luck and so sorry you didn't come here before you moved the fish.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Agree. New gravel, new filter = new cycle.