· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I messed with my sump more today and finally got it working like I planned.

Pressure and water flow are two different things. The sump had plenty of water flow but had to much back pressure. Instead of having the sump wall overflow onto sponges I cut two 1.5" holes allowing it to drain. Since the water line is half on that side of the wall vs the other... the water flows just like I want. Here is a pic of the K1 chamber... I will post one with it flowing.

300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    "anything you try to fix will take longer and cost more than you thought" - Murphey Law

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Update:

For starters, I messed up the calculations for 7ft tank.... its 210g.

I have drained the tank and am starting 100% new water. So, I will go through an expensive nitrifcation cycle that I am not looking forward to. I am thinking of spending the money for dr tims nitrifying bacteria... but not sure. What you think? Spend the money?

The eel is mad at me and don't blame him. He produces a lot of NH3 especially in an unestablished system.

I moved the sump from under the 300g tank so it will be easy access if I ever need to do anything. I am going to build a huge table above it that can support my weight and act as a step stool for tank maintenance.

*Cheers*

0 Not allowed!
    I'm 100% sure I'm understanding your current situation. I thought you had some cured live rock in your set-up ?

Why are you having to re-cycle your tank again ?

I have never used Dr Tims before, but I used a similar product when recureing my live rock for my 180. It certainly did help. I don't think it would hurt to use it, it could only help. If it was me, I would spend the money
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    I'm 100% sure I'm understanding your current situation. I thought you had some cured live rock in your set-up ?

Why are you having to re-cycle your tank again ?

I have never used Dr Tims before, but I used a similar product when recureing my live rock for my 180. It certainly did help. I don't think it would hurt to use it, it could only help. If it was me, I would spend the money
    I shall spend the money... I am going to visit my friend at the LFS and get the product he uses for the store. Won't be dr. Tims since I have to order online.

The sump is new and the media has no bacteria on it. The LR was only ~40lbs. The bio balls I added were removed and left out when I moved the sump. I really think the tank is going to cycle again.

When I put the eel into the 30g tank the filter is new but I added about 20lbs of LR. Guess that is still not enough.

Here is my current plan....

The 7ft tank should finish filling in the next 24 hours. Have everything running like it should and add the nitrifiying bacteria to the water. Then monitor the water and have extra water ready just in case.

Should I bring over some live sand from other tanks to help?

0 Not allowed!
    OK, now I undestand

I would use all the live rock and bio-balls like you are already planning. Another great bacteria product is one made by Brightwell Aquatics. I have used it and it really did help speed up my rock curing from weeks to days.

http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/microbacter7.php

I'm not a fan of live sand so I honestly don't know if that would be a good idea or not.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default pics and updates

0 Not allowed!
    Pics of the build

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    More pics

9. Default Both tanks put in the wall

0 Not allowed!
    The 300g tank is placed on the stand! Next few days will be filling it. Getting closer :-)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    its good to see your progress!
    Freshwater tropical tank
    Marineland Emperor 400 Dual Biowheel filter
    Tank specs are 55 gallon
    Freshwater
    3- tiger barbs
    3- zebra danios
    2-pineapple swordtails
    4- black skirt tetras
    4-serpent tetras