· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Joseph's 37gal FOWLR

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone! I'm super excited to announce that, after five years of having it, I'll be switching my freshwater community over to a FOWLR setup. Here's a link to the journal for that tank in case you'd like to have a look: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=116054. I know it's barely been any time at all since I came up with a plan for what I'd like to do in that tank, but I had a brainwave a few days ago on how I could change over to saltwater without it being really expensive (the cost has been the main reason why I haven't switched over already), and I'm going to give it a try (I got Cliff's approval so if he's confident then I'm confident). Fair warning, though, the next few months of this journal are just going to be planning; I won't be able to really do anything major until after school finishes at the end of April.

To be honest, I'm sad that I'll have to lose my freshwater community to set up this tank. I don't view saltwater as better than freshwater; I enjoy them both equally, and each has its merits. The reason I'm switching is because, after five years, I'd like a change of scenery.

Here's the basic premise of what I'm doing:
    • The majority of my filtration will be live rock and sand. I plan on having enough to completely cover the biological filtration.
    • I'll use my AC50 for mechanical and chemical filtration, and I'll be setting up an HOB refugium in an AC 110 to help keep the nitrates and phosphates down.
    • With a suitable water-change schedule, I'm hoping that the above filtration scheme and the fact that I'm not keeping any corals will allow me to run the tank comfortably without a sump or skimmer. As well, because of the flow generated by the two filters, I don't think I'll need to purchase any additional powerheads.

Since I'm not growing any corals, I'll be able to use the stock light fixture that came with the tank, and I obviously don't need a new heater. As you can see, with this scheme I won't have to spend very much to modify the setup (I really just need live rock, sand, and the AC110), and I'll sell as much as I can of what I don't need from my current setup to help offset the costs even further. I know the operating costs on a marine aquarium are a little higher, but I'll be pricing it out in the next few weeks; I don't think that'll be a problem.

I haven't done much research on stocking yet, as I'll honestly be happy just having marine fish, but I hope that I'll be able to keep blue/green chromis (my favourites) and some type of anthias. Hopefully I can put in a flame angel, too, but I think I've read that those need big tanks.

Anyways, that's enough rambling for one day. Wish me luck and I can't wait to share this journey with you!
    Joseph Granata
    My current 37gal freshwater community tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=116054
    My upcoming 37gal FOWLR tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...42#post1214342

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    May it all come together for you. Sounds like your as excited about changing a freshwater tank over to a saltwater tank as I was a year and a bit ago. You'll enjoy it I'm sure. The live rock will probably be your most expensive investment. Look around and see if someone is selling used rock before going to the LFS. They also have man made rock which works thats about half the price. Or you can make your own rock, video's on u-tube show what you need and how to do it.
    Enjoy.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    You might want to consider adding a small powerhead or two. With only have flow coming from one single direction, you will have dead spots. Dead spots can lead to a build up of crud which can also effect your water quality.

Keep an eye on Kajiji as you can typically find some great deals on used equipment. Big Als usually has some good sales every once in a while as well.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What if I put the 110 refugium on the back and the 50 on one of the sides? Would that be better?
    Joseph Granata
    My current 37gal freshwater community tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=116054
    My upcoming 37gal FOWLR tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...42#post1214342

0 Not allowed!
    A powerhead or two would be best
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, the project has hit a bit of a wall. I called the city to try and get a report containing the exact chemical analysis of the tap water to see if I could use it straight from the tap or if an RO unit will be necessary, and they directed me to the city's water website. After two hours of searching, all I was able to find is a page stating that our water contains chlorine and chloramines, dissolved solids, and fluoride. Big whoop. Before calling back, since it took half an hour just to get in touch with an answering machine on Friday, I did a search online to see if any independent tests have been done and their results published.

I was able to find a document published by the Government of Canada in 1991 about TDS levels across the country. In 1988, TDS levels in the water leaving the 31 treatment plants in Ontario ranged between 91mg/L and 470mg/L. Now this figure can't be relied on too heavily, since water filtration techniques at those plants are probably quite different today from 25 years ago. However, a better indicator is that, in 1970, the TDS level of Lake Ontario, our only water water source, was 60mg/L. Since the lake isn't filtered, this reading probably hasn't changed much since then - if anything, it's gone up.

I thought our water would be a lot cleaner than this, and was hoping I'd be able to do this with straight tap water. I have to do some more research on the water quality, but it's looking like using tap water is not going to be an option, and I don't think my current circumstances or budget allow for either getting an RO unit or buying water.

I'll do more research and see if I can work the solution to this into my plan. I really hope I won't have to put this off for another few years.
    Joseph Granata

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After much searching and phone-calling, I was finally able to find a full chemical analysis of my tap water. I was shocked at how many things, other than pure water, are in there - the report was seven pages long (and those are only the compounds they test for)! At this point, if I do set up this tank, I'm thinking of getting an RO/DI whether I need it or not just because of how much stuff is in there. Coralife makes a 50gpd 4-stage unit (probably more than I need for my size tank, but the 4-sage only comes in 50gpd) for $149, which isn't that bad.

Here are all relevant parameters that are in the report (given is the average of all readings taken daily throughout the year):
    -Fluoride - 0.59mg/L
    -Alkalinity - 89mg/L
    -Hardness (as CaCo3) - 122mg/L
    -pH - 7.7
    -Total Solids - 194mg/L
    -Calcium - 34.6mg/L
    -Magnesium - 8.7mg/L
    -Nitrate - 0.43mg/L
    -Nitrite - 0.0018mg/L

Based on these numbers (I can also give the ranges of these values as well as any other readings given if you think that's necessary), do you think the DI stage is necessary or can I get away with a 3-stage unit (only because it's $40 cheaper)?

I'm currently testing the heater that I bought when I got my tank five years ago and never used (surprisingly, my house is warm enough to keep my tank at 76F with only 0.5F variation) to see if it works well because not having to buy a new heater would definitely allow me to buy an RO unit. I'm planning on testing at 78F because my tank never gets that high on its own, but I'm still bringing my tank up to that temperature. I'll post my results once the test is concluded.
    Joseph Granata

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I am only using an R/O unit which I bought at Home Depot. I would have preferred an R/O DI unit but it wasn't in my budget at the time. I think you'll be safe starting with an R/O unit.
    Remember your lighting will give off some heat which you may want to consider. You will not want the tank to change temperature too much during that 24 hour period.
    A heater is a necessary item in my opinion. You cant beat a consistent temperature.
    Have you found a couple of powerheads yet? BigAls have the Hydor ones in various sizes for a good price.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tbh I'm scared of looking at power heads. I don't like the Koralias for my tank since it's already pretty small and those take up a lot of space. I really like how small and compact the Vortechs are (and the fact that the cord is on the outside) but I know those are probably WAY out of my price range - which is why I'm terrified to look in the first place.
    Joseph Granata

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I know what you mean about price! The small 425 Koralias with a magnetic mount ( dont use suction cups), do not take up alot of room. I have 2 425's and 2 850's in my 55 gallon and they just kind of blend in after awhile. Water flow is very important in a saltwater tank as is just about everything. Years ago (we are talking back in the '80's) I had a saltwater tank which I ran with normal freshwater filtration. It did really well for about 8 months. It crashed hard and I was devastated.