· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default not limpets...help!

0 Not allowed!
    okay so.....10 gal tank, planted, fine sand, 10 red cherry shrimp, two mystery snails, 1 ready to pop black molly, and maybe two dozen albino cory catfish babies 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. my shrimp tank turned into a nursery tank not long ago, but, im gonna call it a shrimp tank, because this was the first place i found a thread about limpets, the shrimps forum. well, what i have is not limpets they are smaller, its been about a week and there is no change in size of this mystery stock. grains of sand is what it looks like, but with its own movement pattern, stationary, up and in a circle or half circle, back down and stationary again, and a barely perceptible appendage. i will invest in some high powered eye balls, but you know how it is with budgets and schedules, so i was hoping maybe someone could help with similar experience.

I am not familiar with breeding shrimp, but these dont resemble shrimp and given the time, they should kind of be like a shrimp by now right? i was reading numbers like 1mm 1.5mm for babies, i havent researched how to identify pregnant shrimp or eggs or any of that yet, i will after this edit, but do red cherry shrimp start out as little whitish dots for at least a week? i fed with microworms for a while when the cory fry were ready, but not heavily by any means, there was plenty of available food, from a 1st gen culture i grew, but it was almost a month easily since i fed with these, could this be a culprit? should i post in the food forums? there has to be over a thousand dots. like off white sand grains, in my marimos, laceleaf, moss beds, glass, intake sponge...you get the idea. some are even hitching rides on my snails shells! now nobody in this tank, plant or animal, seems to care, and if it isn't an issue or if it's free food, then im okay with it too. The last thing i put in the tank was the madagascar lace leaf bulb, three or four weeks ago, and it's doing awesome, but i had it mailed to the US from singapore, and i did rinse it, but could it have brought these dots? should i post this in the plants forum? thanks in advance for any help! sorry in advance for any convoluted or lacking information!
    Last edited by a_blast; 11-02-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    fish are aliens

0 Not allowed!
    what are the creatures shaped like? if they are elongated then your
    description would closely fit that of planaria, harmless scavengers that occur in almost every
    mature aquarium. the madagascar lace plant will eventually require a huge tank though. I had one in a 33 gallon and it occupied the top 8 inches of the tank with masses of leaves.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    they are rounded more than elongated, like a ball, they may have legs underneath...

thanks for the advice on the lace leaf, im just starting it in the smaller tank though, my planted 10g is like a magic plant growing chamber and everything i read said they were so hard to grow....its just these darn dots! i hope they're a good sign and not a bad one!
    fish are aliens

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    are your snails reproducing... they begin very small and stay little for quite some time. just a suggestion

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They sound like seed shrimp.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my mystery snails have bred before and i didnt find any clutch of eggs like normal, and while these are almost small enough to be newborns, and close to a similar shape of newborn snails, they arent growing as fast, and they...lift, like off of whatever they're on. After doing an image search for seed shrimp, it looks almost exactly identical. These seed shrimp have to be exactly what i have. Now im back to google, i hope i dont find bad news! Thanks so much!
    fish are aliens

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well from what i read seed shrimp can make some fish uncomfortable crawlin on em, but since it's in a red cherry tank, with all the baby albino corys, i think ill be okay. im gonna read around some more, but if this is a bad problem feel free to post it on here!
    fish are aliens