· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default tiger barbs too aggressive for my aquarium?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys. I have been contemplating getting green tiger barbs for a few weeks now. I really love the way they look, but I'm afraid that if I get them they will bully the rest of my fish. I have a 38 gallon tank with several plants and a few hiding spots for the shyer fish. Right now I have 17 fish, which include 5 black skirt tetras, 5 red serpae tetras, 3 diamond tetras, 1 pearl gourami, and 3 dwarf gouramis. I would like to hear your thoughts on purchasing 5-7 tiger barbs. Do you think these fish are too aggressive for my fish (especially since quite a few of them have long fins)?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tiger barbs are bad fin nippers
    30 gal Freshwater
    1 young Angel, 6 Pepper Corydoras, 5 Harlequin Rasbora 1 Bristle-nose Pleco

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I think they are too aggressive, especially in those low numbers.

Also, I think that many DGs in that small of a tank is begging for slaughter at some point. I recommend keeping your favorite gourami....the pearl, maybe...and returning the rest.

Then you can make proper schools for the rest of the fish and call it a day.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I've heard larger numbers tend to help with aggressive behavior. I've read Tiger Barbs and Blackskirt Tetras are compatible though.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    Tiger Barbs should be overstocked actually to prevent their aggression. I would not dream of putting dominate Tigers in that tank with the fish you have. Three gourami's will also not work. I would see if you can take back those 3 gourami's (keeping the pearl) and build up the schools of fish you already have. None of the tetra's are in adaquate schools.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 11-04-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 listen to the Lady.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have 6 Tigers, 1 albino 3 green and 2 normal.
    I got them over the course of a few months, when I only had 3 they went after every fish in the tank, bigger or smaller. however after adding a couple more (=5) they stopped attacking anything other then themselves.
    I would occassionally notice they would nip eachothers fins, but since then, they have never attacked any other fish.
    IMO as long as their numbers are 5 or more, they should not harm any other fish, so long as they are not feeder sized.
    I've had such success that I even keep a mid sized Discus in the tank with them, its been there about a year or so with no nips or torn scales as of yet.

That being said however. I do not think your tetras would survive more then a few days with the tigers, as they would just look like food to your tigers.

(please dont flame about the discus, if ever I thought it was at risk or stressed I would put it in another tank)