· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Heater issues: caused fish issues

0 Not allowed!
    I really love this hobby, but it is a lot more intensive than I first anticipated! Just when I finally got my parameters perfect, my heater decided it was time to malfunction. At least this is what I am assuming what happened since I have not touched it in weeks. All fish were fine, then next AM temp up past 90 degrees and 4 neons dead and all other fish acting very distressed. Slowly brought temp back down to 80 degrees and turned up the bubbles to get some O2 back into water.

So I have left 2 mollies and 4 neons :( The female molly is still acting very distressed. Her tail has curved into an S shape and she is very docile. This happened 4 days ago, so I have been monitoring the water and the fish. Some days she seems better, but today she's struggling. Is there anything I can do for her?

Also, the faulty heater came with my Marineland 20 gallon kit.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would call the company if the heater is new, it might be in warranty.

As for the molly, all you can do is monitor her and your water parameters and make sure there's nothing wrong with it. Good luck.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Just love those heaters they can't just stop working but have to overheat and boil everything. I had this happen twice this year in seperate tanks. Cought the one and everybody survived. The other one went out and killed the new fish I'd just put in but all the old stock survived.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sucks. Thanks for the replies-

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank god I live in the tropics and dont need to rely on heaters!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Bissett
    Thank god I live in the tropics and dont need to rely on heaters!
    I'd be waking up to a layer of ice on the top of mine in the winter :D.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dont have the requirement of a heater as I too come from the tropics.

However for those who do, I would think it to be a better idea to go for 2 smaller sized heaters rather than 1 single heater. Lets say 2x150 watts instead of a single 300 watts. When functioning normally, they would still keep the temperature stable. However if one of them does malfunction the other takes over as a stabilising unit.

If one over heats, the other would shut down, keeping the temperature more bearable. And since each heater is only half the strength they wouldnt be able to heat up as much as a single full strength one.

On the other hand, if one just stops working then the other would atleast heat up to a certain level, hopefully keeping the water warm enough.

0 Not allowed!
    Get a heater that actually has a setting on it and make sure if it says it has to be calibrated, to do so. Don't get one of those that has nothing but a low, med, and high setting. Get one you can actually dial the number to.

If your heater was set incorrectly, it may take a couple days to bring it to the correct temp. Perhaps it was not set correctly since it's new? Due to faulty heaters in the past, I stick my fingers in the water every morning to test it.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the fish loss.

Companies sell devices that shut a heater off in the event of failure - not cheap. maybe better to buy a high end heater.

0 Not allowed!
    There have been many people in the past who have asked whether to get a kit or buy things individually - even if you're going to end up spending more in the end, better to buy equipment that is considered reliable than wonder what kind of quality it is. I agree with pjaldave that you should contact the manufacturer - it sounds like it is adjustable or did you remove the heater to get the temp down?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in