· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Wetting Comet Goldfish Food

0 Not allowed!
    I picked up 3 Comet Goldfish today. Not to be used as food, but for testing my new aquarium.

I noticed today the salesperson said that you should wet the food before adding to the tank, because if the fish try to eat it on the surface there is a good chance they will swallow air and then die.

I don't remember doing this growing up as a kid, and I never seemed to have a problem. I'm wondering if this is paranoia, or are comets a little more risky than other fish?

0 Not allowed!
    many fancy goldfish with compressed bodies will have problems if they accidentally swallow air, but I believe that comets are able to pass the air from their systems.
    Are you aware though, of the potential size and age of a comet goldfish?

0 Not allowed!
    Easier to wet pellets than flakes and better for them anyway. Get those that sink, not float.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    You don't need to wet the food, this is a myth, goldfish are quite capable of eating from the surface without any problems, here are some links you might find useful on goldfish care and nutritional needs.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebi...fish101art.htm
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebi...dfshmalnut.htm
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It is not true that goldfish achieve this set of symptoms by swallowing air with floating food. To an extent, goldfish are capable of gulping and 'burping' air to control the amount of gas in their swim bladder and somewhat control their buoyancy; swallowing air has nothing to do with this nutritional disease.
    I guess that means that not everyone who works at PetSmart knows what they are talking about?

Anyhow, I understand my three little babies may grow up to one food in length, if they live that long. Though expected to live up to 15 years if properly cared. I'll make sure I don't treat them like in a Fishbowl as I've seen so many other friends do. Never understood how stores can even legally do that these days.

Right now I've got them in a 5 Gallon tank, and while I know that's a no-no, they are just babies for now. I'll move them over into something bigger if they last long enough to grow to a bigger size.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by A&W_Fish
    I guess that means that not everyone who works at PetSmart knows what they are talking about?
    Generally speaking this is true, you will find a few that actually know about the fish they are selling.

If you take good care of your goldfish, they will last and outgrow that tank very quickly, and you should either make plans now to rehome them, or just rehome them now for fish more suited to your tank. Are you using them to cycle the tank? If so then you might want to read this, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Or even better rehome the goldfish now and read this. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Personally I find it to be a bigger issue among fancy goldfish than common/comets. Swim bladder issues that is. With comets you shouldn't worry about it. I've never seen a comet with swim bladder issues.

And even then, they very rarely seem to die from it.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What I did was use TopFin Bacteria Supplement, as I used their Conditioner before hand to declorinate the tap water.

I'm not liking how shortly after adding the supplement, the water has gone murky pretty quick, but I did read elsewhere this has a tendancy to happen 24-48 hours after the supplement, and should go away again.

I will try to keep a close eye on the ammonia levels.

Right now I'm feeding them just once a day (what I used to always be taught in our school), but the label says to feed them MULTIPLE times a day.