· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Keeping My Boss's Fish Alive

0 Not allowed!
    Hello All!
    It's been a while since I had by beginner tank crises, where this lovely community came to my rescue. No further upsets with my fishies- hooray!
    However, my boss keeps a 95 gallon bowfront in her office. The Fish Lady (who helped me get my terrible setup) has a side business other than working at the lfs where she takes care of other people's fish. She is retiring this December. I am going to be the designated fish caretaker since the office heard all about my research after my debacle at home. I am going to need lots of advice!
    My main question is regarding water changes. The tank is a long hallway away from our kitchen sink. What percentage and how often would I need to change, and how on earth would you do a change like that? I'll be appreciative for anything you might be able to offer.
    Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    what is that tank stocked with?
    normally at least 50% per week is the rule but given the circumstances
    you may have to look for compromise. If the tank is lightly stocked you might get by with less
    that 50%.
    As for the long distance I believe that there are python water changers up to 30 m(100ft)
    in length, or else you could just do things the old-fashioned way, with buckets that have no limit to how far you can carry them with exception to how much stamina you have...

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    How does The Fish Lady change the water? First you are going to have to start testing the parameters of the water to help determine how much water needs to be changed each week. You will need to change enough to keep the nitrates at acceptable levels each week. If you don't have a Python or similar type water changer you will have to use buckets... Pretty simple really.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure how the Fish Lady does it now, I'm going to stay after work hopefully one day and watch her. I'm almost scared to say what it is stocked with, but here goes. There are 4 fancy goldfish, 1 parrot cichlid, 2 new cichlids, a big pleco and what I think is a small pleco (about 2 inches, bright golden color, bottom feeder, with beautiful fins) and some snails that I couldn't find just now.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Like I said, start testing the water parameters and that will tell you how much water to change and how often it needs to be changed. It's a 95 g tank and the stocking might not be so bad really, depending on the types of fancy goldfish and cichlids that are in there. The biggest issue may be water temperature requirements, but many fish can tolerate a wide range of temps.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking it was like the tank of doom what with cold and warm water fish in there. So that is nice to hear.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not saying it isn't the tank of doom, just saying it might not be as bad as you think, it depends on the types of goldfish and cichlids.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Going back to the mechanics of the water change question, how far is it to the closest taps, and the closest disposal method (toilet, sink, drain, window, garden) it may not be as mammoth a task as you dread

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well it is about (guesstimating) 25 yards to the faucet and the same for a sink. We are on the second floor of a downtown office building, so no garden or outside dumping. I guess I may just end up super toned!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazikus
    Well it is about (guesstimating) 25 yards to the faucet and the same for a sink. We are on the second floor of a downtown office building, so no garden or outside dumping. I guess I may just end up super toned!
    Unless you can pry out the secrets ot of the current caretaker, I'd invest in a cheap low capacity electric pump with 3/8 inlet/ outlet and abot 150 feet of 3/8 plastic hose, unless of course you wish to be super toned (and I'm way too old for that!)