· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good to hear ash. Remember that when it isn't in use you can run that sponge in an established tank to keep it cycled and ready for when you set up your QT tank. Most people don't try and keep them running full time. I have tried that but I always end up talking myself into buying more fish to put in it. Lol. It's a vicious cycle.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    LoL Good advice =) The safestart made the tank a little cloudy but I imagine it will clear up.
    Keeping fingers crossed !

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Neph - just tested my water ...all perimeters are good ! So as long as they look ok I won't rush into a water change. I'll keep a close eye on it and see if i can stretch it just a little. Today is only my 6th day since last water change.
    The Maracyn which is gram positive does say will not hurt the beneficial bacteria so lets see what happens.... Maybe as you have said, so many diseases that look the same perhaps I used the wrong one and need the gram negative antibiotics.....I'll look more into the slime coat disease....ehh boy.

Ash - Good Job !!! Glad to hear your heading in the right direction...what exactly did you use ? was it Maracyn 2?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cors: oh that's good to hear. I didn't know the BB could supposedly survive through that treatment. That is good to know. Well at least you don't have to add that headache to compound the issues.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes ,....BB can survive through the gram positive antibiotic
    it is the gram negative antibiotics that will kill it off.

Unfortunately I think that is the route I have to take next !

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I bought it from Petsmart. It was just called erythromiacin. This is what I bought. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
    asherah

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well....... it's been a bit now and I am afraid I have nothing good to report.

After the initial treatment with Maracyn (erythromiacin) for 5 days and Quick Cure (though at half dose because I have Tetras) for 6 days ... both Meds simultaneously,
    I waited and held off on a water change til the 8th day because my water parameters all looked good. I wanted to keep the tank exposed to the meds as long as possible without hurting anyone.

Since no improvement in the Angel Fish (in fact looking worse) I figured I would move her out first to a quarantine tank and give her another round of Maracyn.
    (lot less expensive treating a 5 gal tank as opposed to my main 90 for sure).

Well unfortunately that didn't work and the Angel died. I'm very unhappy about that one because she was growing nicely and was part of a pair for sure. (Black Lace Angels with nice high fins and long tail Not sure how I can re-match and replace her.)

So I cleaned the QT tank out thoroughly, then after a little new start up time I introduced the Velvet Sword and A Creamcycle Lyre tail Molly that didnt look improved after treatment in the 90.
    .....and then I added a Panda Cat fish that looked like it was starting to get infected (Blotchy patches on Skin )

I am trying something else that was suggested called "Lifeguard" which is a multispectrum kind of med. Non....antibiotic. So I am now treating my quarantine tank with that. Will see if that yields anything positive.

Now I noticed one of my Black Neon Tetras in the 90 gal losing its color and when it turned I also noticed it had pop eye !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Holy Crap .... I hope my entire tank is not doomed .... I'll keep treating, I guess with something til I figure this out or until they all die one at a time.

Water is in very good shape .... ughhhhh....starting to feel defeated.....

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Damn cors I am sorry. This one just will not ease off for you. That sucks the angel gave up. At least you gave her a fighting chance. I know how that feels to loose them after a long battle. We just lost a thick lipped gourami yesterday that had come down with something that caused dropsy like a month ago. We got her swelling down with some EM, and some epsom, she was eating well but resting a lot on the substrate. Looked like she might have been improving and through the worst of it, and then bam dead the next morning. It sucks to feel like you put all that work in and failed. Sometimes the damage is just too extensive tho. You did what you could for them, and that is what matters. Wish I could offer some advice but as I said before, the issue with your tank is well out of my league. I have no idea where to go from here. Ill keep my fingers crossed for you tho.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ...Thanks Neph

I'll keep trying, I'm gettin P.O.'d as well as frustrated. I hate to keep dumpin some kind of med in the main tank so I'll get it cleared out and decide where to go next..... Maybe just focus on treating em as they get sick in the QT tank.

I stopped medicating the main tank and went to every 5 days for a 50% water change..... On my second cycle with that.
    I have had three filters runnin all along full of sponges and Biomax and I clean only one after each wc so I'm not worried about disrupting the Biological bacteria. I'm more focused on cleanin the gravel bed real good

Will see what happens......

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    update on an old problem for those interested...

Well I tried one last thing ...Maracyn Plus! followed by Rid Ich plus.........Unbelievably this did the trick for me...!! General dieing has stopped.... The white blotchy areas on the sword dissapeared, tail rot gone and fins all repaired....My tetra's popeye is gone ! Everyone looks healthy and happy again though all my Mollies died
    It was a long battle.... but I guess besides our efforts to help maybe nature just has to sort it all out.

Neither of these two meds hurt your biological filter and they treat a long list of diseases. Both Liquids which I find best compared to powders.... Also found great pricing on line at a place called www.thatpetplace.com ...half price compared to big box stores!!!!!!!!!!