· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well everything was going great. No one was getting sick and no one else had died. Today I saw this fish, He actually looks like he may have an injury as opposed to disease but here's what it looks like

photo (50) by asherah2, on Flickr
    What do you think ? It's slightly pink with a little red on the outside edges. It looks like he banged his nose into something or got into it with another diamond. I don't know. What do you think ?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cors: yeah I have heard good things about that LFS. Also i think they are right suggesting the malachite green. I have never used it myself but have heard of more than one issue that it resolved pretty well. Glad things havent gotten worse at the very least for you. Definitely make sure you let us know how that stuff works for you.

ash: very possible. The resolution on the pic isn't clear enough to zoom in very far, but I have seen iridescent catfish get injuries that looked just like this from being in tanks that were too small and darting around bashing into things nose first. But its odd that a small characin would hurt himself in this way. And they don't usually get aggressive enough with their own kind to do that kind of damage. Any other species in that tank that may have done it? Something that is known for being aggressive when sick and grumpy like an angel, or a gourami, or a red fin shark, or something like that? You will have to forgive me for not remembering exactly what you have in the tank. There is a small possibility that it is an ulcerated wound from an illness, however usually if it is some kind of rot or ulcer there will be more discoloration to it tho. If it looks like a clean wound or healthy pink meat inside the opening then I would guess he prob just hurt himself somehow. Fish can do silly things when they don't feel well. I have an mBuna that is fighting popeye right now. He is an ornery little jerk to everyone as well, and that just isn't like him. Ever since he got sick he has sat in his cave and grumped at anyone who came anywhere near him. Like us when they don't feel well their entire personality can change. So maybe your guy got a little nervous or skittish and darted into a decoration. Do keep a close eye on it over the next few days for any change tho. If it looks as if it might be getting worse let us know.
    Last edited by Nephalem; 11-18-2012 at 01:21 AM.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do have a honey gourami. Also embers, platies, a sword, a pleco, and the diamonds. I'll have to keep an eye on him. The pic was from a cell phone.. =/ I don't really have anything I take a better of him with tho.
    I'll have to keep an eye on him and see how he does. The water is a little cloudy now as well. I bought some safe start to add after the antibiotics are done.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's another pic. It does look like he's missing a piece of his nose. He also looks like he might have ich =( arghh a few white spots showing up on his fins and his tail. Great.

photo (51) by asherah2, on Flickr

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    crap. I'm sorry man. You sound like you know what ich looks like, but do the spots look like little grains of salt? Or just coloration change on the skin? If you are getting a dual outbreak someone else will have to weigh in on it as it would be a little over my current experience. I've only dealt with ich one time with a fish I tried to rescue and she didn't live through the night, so I hesitate to try and give you any advice about it.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like little grains of salt. one on his dorsal fin and one on his tail.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh boy ...... sure looks and sounds like Ich to me..... I've had to fight that off also a little while back. Water changes are the key for sure.

I tried an Organic Cure from Kordon did not work at all .....

I will tell you that their (Kordon) Rid Ich did work very well and they also sell Rid Ich plus that also kills other kinds of parasites. (right up our alley)

You may already know this Ash but I will tell you what I know in case ...

The problem with Ich is you can only kill it when it is not attached to the fish and its in a free swimming state. Once it attaches you have to wait until it matures and falls off the fish then you can kill it or vacuum it up out of the gravel. Everyone suggests slowly raising the temp to about 84 degrees ....slowwwwwwwly then the ich matures faster and falls off the fish while you are treating the water and also vacuuming the gravel bed thus killing it. With the higher temperatures the treatment periods are shorter and you have a much better chance of killing the stuff while it is unattached to your fish.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ...On the original problem at hand ... I just finished my 5th day of treatment with the Maracyn and quick cure. It does not seem I have anything great to report.
    I do not see a change in the white/grey blotchy look of my Red Velvet Sword tail...and my Angel does not seem to be improving.... hmmm

The Maracyn called for 5 days staright - one packet of med for every 10 gallons soooo 9 packets each day went into my 90 gallon tank.

I wonder if instead of changing water (which I did last wednesday at 50%)
    if I should just let it sit a few days ....?? So as not to pull any of the antibiotic out of the water....????

Also I have a lot of filtration and I mean a lot (no carbon ...just filter pads, filter floss, sponges and ceramic rings) .... Do you think that might be taking the meds out of the water....???

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If no carbon in the filter then the meds should still be working. Tho do remember that your BB colony is gone now, so you are gonna need to watch your levels close to recycle the tank. And someone else will have to weigh in about the WCs but I don't think you can stop doing them as without the cycle ammo will start to build pretty quick. I dunno man, I really wish I had more to offer. If they haven't shown any improvement at all I would say it has to be because the antibiotic wasn't able to kill off whatever the culprit was. Did you look into that slime coat disease I mentioned? This pretty much puts you back on the diagnosis stage. There are so many illnesses out there that look so similar...

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm done with my antibiotics as well and everyone looks well. No spots, no blotches, no redness. The tetra with the hurt nose is looking a lot better as well. I did a water change and added Safe start. So here's hoping ! I'm going to be a little nervous for a little while I think.
    I also have a quarintine tank up and running with a sponge filter. So waiting for that to cycle as well.
    asherah