· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default White Blotches or Color Loss....??

0 Not allowed!
    Hey All... I have a few Velvet Sword Tails which are usually deep redish in color. All of a sudden the female looks as if she is losing her color or her scales are turning white...??! Have not seen this before.

There does not appear to be any kind of substance on her surface almost like someone with a skin disorder ...

Any ideas on what this might be.....???

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok...Now a Dalmation Molly has something on its eye...and its eye is bulging and one of my Black Veil Tale Angels fins look like they are getting ragged and also something on its face.
    It looks like whats described as Popeye and Tail Rott.....

I am certainly keeping up on my water quality and all that, how about this product called Melafix...??? Anyone have any thoughts.

0 Not allowed!
    Forget the Melafix. That's about as good as taking an aspirin for cancer. My thoughts are more like Columnaris. See if this sounds like it to you?

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/di...columnaris.htm

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above. I think hobbsie prob hit a bullseye on the draw with this one.

Sounds just like columnaris without having some pics to look at. It's fairly common, as a matter of fact it's present in a large percentage of aquaria, but usually only in small concentrations. If it has taken strong hold in your tank it can be pretty serious.

I dont know if you have multiple tanks but if so from this point on do not use any equipment that has touched the water from this tank on any other tank without a bleach bath. That includes your hands before giving them a good hot scrub. Be really careful about the amount you feed especially if you use food high in protein like beef heart or cyclops, etc. An excess of decaying high protein matter can aid this stuff in growing stronger.

I wish I could find you the link to a really good article I just read on treating it but I can't find the link. I believe it said a gram negative antibiotic will have some effect. You will want to do some real research tho. With columnaris prevention is key, so if you do have more than one tank take the steps to ensure this doesn't spread.

There is a lot of incorrect suggestions about it on the wild wild web, so look for a good article that explains the science of WHY a treatment should work, instead of just throwing 100 treatments in your tank. Ill keep looking through my history and If I can find that article I will put it up here for you.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    wooooooaaahhhh.......!!!!!! Holy Crap

Ive been keeping very good water quality but seem to keep getting hit with stuff....

Thanks Lady and Nephalem.... if you can find that article i would appreciate.

I'll try to understand this situation better.

Yikes

0 Not allowed!
    Maracyn 2 is gram negative. It may destroy your cycle so something you will have to watch for. This is where a quarantine tank comes in handy but if you see 3 fish with problems, it is probably going fish to fish (as bacterial problems do) so you may have to do a full treatment of all occupants. That is, IF you determine this to be the problem.

Search Google for Columnaris. There are many articles out there.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again Lady...
    I will.

Just cannot understand all the problems I'm having.....oh well. I'll stay after it !!!
    I'll keep ya posted and certainly ask for advice.