· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Slime Coat Shedding Question.

0 Not allowed!
    On two of my fish what i believe im looking at is them shedding their slime coat but i am not exactly sure what that means or is and what it looks like or even why it happens.
    First i would like to ask is this common in a african cichlid tank ? because i read it could be because of stress from being picked on basically aggression that occurs in these tanks. Second what does it look like ? Trying my best to describe it i would have to say at a cerain angle while veiwing the fish there is a fade to there color or you can even say it looks cloudy? I hope someone can get what im trying to describe with that. But yea ive been googling stuff and the closest i came to was cotton wool disease but after looking at vids and pics of fish with this this is nothing like it. Im lost its kinda like diagnosing yourself on the internet, doing that everyone has cancer or something severe, believe me ive done it with a soar throat, tooth ache and some other things and basically diagnosing my self with the worst possible thing. The fish are not acting weird at all and all are eating no hiding nothing so is this something i should worry about ? Another thing is water perameters are ideal with no trites or ammonia and trates are a little high 40ppm range but its water change day tommorow and a 60% will lower that no problem i may even up it to 75%.
    Last edited by BiGBlak; 02-10-2013 at 04:54 AM.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are you sure it's not a loose scale or scales? I've seen this on occasion on some of mine, and most times I've never seen any adverse affects. As far as being able to see the slime coat coming off, I don't think that's possible, nor have I ever heard of it. They can lose it somewhat when they're stressed or ill, but again, I don't think you can physically see it.
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!