· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Breaking Surface Tension

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys,

Sorry another newbie question :)

I want to make sure I have adequate surface tension so my fish can breath before I add any. I have a Fluval U3, I'm sure you're aware it has 3 settings. If I use the one that is an even spread filteration, no bubbles come out at all but the surface of the water is gently agitating evenly.

If I use the top output just under the surface the agitation can be fairly vigorous with lots of bubbles (I can adjust the slightly with the airflow nozzle).

My question is, how much is enough and how much is too much when it comes to allowing the fish to get a good supply of oxygen?

Thanks for your time.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess theres no definitive answer to that one - as long as the surface is agitated and the surface tension broken you achieve aeration. If you had a small surface area and deep you would need more agitation than a shallow tank with a large footprint - hence the need for adjustable settings

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Bissett
    I guess theres no definitive answer to that one - as long as the surface is agitated and the surface tension broken you achieve aeration. If you had a small surface area and deep you would need more agitation than a shallow tank with a large footprint - hence the need for adjustable settings
    I see, so mines 36" in length but 15" Deep, so I imagine I need somewhere in the middle?

0 Not allowed!
    Based on the length and width, I would think your tank is around 30 gallons in size.

If that is the case, I would suggest getting a second filter for your tank. I would not use a U3 on a tank larger than 20 gallons. If you add a hang on back filter like a aqua clear 30, you would have good filtration and would not have to worry about oxygen levels in your water
    Last edited by Cliff; 10-30-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Based on the length and width, I would think your tank is around 30 gallons in size.

If that is the case, I would suggest getting a second filter for your tank. I would not use a U3 on a tank larger than 20 gallons. If you add a hang on back filter like a aqua clear 30, you would have good filtration and would not have to worry about oxygen levels in your water

It may be a U4 then I've binned the box, the tank is 110 litres and the filter will turn out 600 litres per hour. Ill double check but tried to make sure I got a good enough sized filter by pre researching .

0 Not allowed!
    Keep in mind, manufactures will overstate the true capacity of their filters. I would recommend taking what they state and cut that in half.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Keep in mind, manufactures will overstate the true capacity of their filters. I would recommend taking what they state and cut that in half.

Ok, thanks for the heads up then, it's quite a big thing as well takes up a decent wedge of the tank! How much will i be looking at roughly for the second one? Will I need to start my cycle again?

0 Not allowed!
    If you just add a second filter, you won't have to cycle your tank again as you would be leaving the existing filter in place. Just add the second filter and over time (about 4 or 5 weeks) the media in the second filter will become seeded. I think the aqua clear 30 would make a great second filter on that tank.

I'm not to familiar with pricing on your side of the pond. I would suggest checking out a few on-line places and see what they go for in your area.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you just add a second filter, you won't have to cycle your tank again as you would be leaving the existing filter in place. Just add the second filter and over time (about 4 or 5 weeks) the media in the second filter will become seeded. I think the aqua clear 30 would make a great second filter on that tank.

I'm not to familiar with pricing on your side of the pond. I would suggest checking out a few on-line places and see what they go for in your area.

Thanks very much for the advice! I'll have a shop around.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I thought i'd stick this in here instead of creating a new thread;

My water appears to be going ever so slightly cloudy, all I have done to it for the past week is have the filter running. I've added a heater after a couple of days along with a thermometer. Each day I have been adding a Dose of Aquarium Starter, the tank started ok but is starting to turn a little cloudy now.