· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Could I keep discus?

0 Not allowed!
    I've been running a 75 gallon community tank for about 2 years now and have been thinking about transitioning to a discus setup. The tank is well planted with automatic feeders that feed lightly twice a day and a 30% weekly water change.

My water conditions are;

Liquid test kit:
    pH 8.0
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0

Dipstick test:
    pH 8.0
    KH 80
    GH 60

Currently the tank has
    ~18 glowlight tetras
    ~18 neon tetras
    12 patties
    8 male guppies
    5 Siamese algae eaters
    1 pleco

The discus setup would have
    4-6 discus
    Either the neon or glowlight tetras (dither fish)
    2 German blue rams
    6 corys
    1 pleco
    (The remaining fish would likely go to family members)

What do you all think? This would be my first attempt with discus. I realize that my pH is a little high but I've seen a lot if mixed reports about the best ph for these fish.
    75G Coldwater Setup (May 2011)
    Angelfish Fry Development Project

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly, I think it'd be fine. But up the group to 6 instead of 4.

2 Not allowed!
    Are you ready for all those water changes Nic? Discus have quite the bioload and they really do need very clean water. Oh, and don't forget that they are cichlids.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 Merry Christmas - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    I'd go with 5-6 discus, sand or bare bottom. Discus do have quite the bioload, I feed twice a day, a mix of Aquabites and cobalt flakes in the morning then freeze dried blackworms at night. They are very messy eaters and poop a lot. Waterchanges are done every other day at 50%. Your pH is fine as long as you don't intend to breed and most likely stable (no pH change when in a bucket 24 hours and aerated). They are very aggressive and territorial when guarding eggs so small dither fish can targets. The pleco may damage the discus as they are nocturnal and may attach to the discus to eat their slime coat.
    I love mine but they do require very clean water and that means water changes, with a 75 gallon you're probably looking at about 40 minutes every other day using a pump to drain, if you have to age your water (gas off, match temp, stabilize ph) add another 15 minutes to add water to the tank and refill your aging barrel.
    I have a 135 gallon with a 40 gallon sump (aging barrels) and it takes me 1-1/2 hours every other day.

2 Not allowed!
    I strongly suggest you first do a lot of homework on caring for discus, to ensure you're successful at keeping these expensive fish, particularly when doing so in a well-planted set-up.

If you do this, a must is to get at least 5 good quality, healthy & fairly mature discus of at least near adult in size (4" or more) from a known reputable source for supplying quality discus, and as Judi said, be prepared to do large water changes at least 3 or 4 times a week.
    For tank-mates, go with the glowlight tetras rather than the neons which are generally not good tank-mates for discus (except they like to eat them), and omit the SAE's which, like most plecos, can take a liking to discus' slime coats as part of their diet, when they get larger, lazier, and somewhat more aggressive.
    You might also consider omitting the Rams, since the combination of 5-6 discus, the 18 tetras and the 6 cories will already represent a relatively high bio-load in a 75 gal planted tank.
    Best of luck to you.

1 Not allowed!
    Also if you do decide to go with discus buy from a reputable breeder. You'll be glad you did in the long run.
    125g planted freshwater South American Cichlid and clown loach tank.
    10 Clown loaches
    9 Geophagus tapajos
    6 Cory's (3 brochis 3 aeneus)
    4 Angelfish
    1 Clown pleco
    1 Black ghost knife

Video of my 125
    http://youtu.be/GiUFnRzx7m0