· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Please help, fish dying?

0 Not allowed!
    So I've had a 36 Gallon Freshwater tank for about 2 years now. I have an assortment of Rainbowfish such as my one Trifasciata Rainbow. The last instance I had a fish die was a little over a year ago and everyone else has been fine since. However, my Trifasciata has begun to act strangely. He normally was a ravenous eater but is now eating only a couple Spirulina flakes if they happen to float his way. He'll either be hanging out at the top of the tank with his tale drooping down or he'll be very close to the gravel. As of late, I've had a few problems with nitrates (over the past month or two, I've been slacking a bit on water changes). Is this the problem??? Should I do a few large water changes or 20% every day or what???

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For being fish-fan friendly! ;) - Rue   Beer mug for ya - Jaster   No Message - Gar   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Thanks for the reputation - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I would say do 20% every other day. Don't forget to keep testing your water. What are your readings? He could be feeling the stress from the higher nitrates.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    what is the ntirate reading now? what are the ammonia and nitrite readings?

If you miss a couple of water changes just recently this month, when you were previously doing weekly water changes, a large water change will have no ill effect. In fact, it would have a positive effect.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great Idea THANK YOU - eltylT   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  See you on the 6th! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

2 Not allowed!
    Here is the math needed to figure out how big of a water change to do. It's the same for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I do 80% weekly water changes on my 75 gal.

Desired reading, divided by current reading, minus 1.0, times 100 equals the % of water to change. Very simple math.

10 gal tank, high nitrate example –

10 (desired reading) divided by 40 (current reading) = 0.25 - 1.0 (-0.75) X 100 (75) = 75% water change. With a nitrate reading of 40 you need to change 75% or 7.5 gal. Nitrates of 40 ppm X 75% water change = 30 ppm ammonia reduction. 40 - 30 = 10 ppm after the water change. Simple.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with your cycle! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Where would you adjust that formula to adjust if you had say like example 9.00 ppm to account for nitrates on the tap

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great Idea THANK YOU - eltylT   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  See you on the 6th! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    You would need to know your nitrate reading before your water change. What is it?
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with your cycle! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    You would need to know your nitrate reading before your water change. What is it?
    say it was a 30 gal or 75 gal for example with a 40ppm nitrate test reading before doing a water change except the water off the tap was a 9 was just curious how you would adjust that formula, as i followed it just not sure where you would do the adjustment for the 9.00 thats in the water your adding back, would you subtract that from it some place ? or adjust the percentage say -0.75 in your example by some factor to account for whatever the tap water your using reading was . sorry i suck at explaining math.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, here goes. You would try for a nitrate reading of 15 after your PWC.

For a 30 gal - If you change 80% (24 gal, numbers are based on a % of the tank size, 30 gal) -
    24 gal new water at 9 ppm nitrate = 7.2 nitrate reading for the changed water (9 x 80%).
    6 gal existing tank water at 40 ppm nitrate = 8 ppm nitrate in the tank (40 x 20%). 7.2 + 8 = 15.2 nitrate reading after the 80% PWC.

For a 75 gal - If you change 80% (60 gal) - again, the numbers are based on a % of the tank size, 75 gal. Your readings would be the same, just the number of gallons changed is different -
    60 gal new water at 9 ppm nitrate = 7.2 nitrate reading (9 x 80%) for the changed water.
    15 gal existing tank water at 40 ppm nitrate = 8 ppm nitrate in the tank (40 x 20%). 7.2 + 8 = 15.2 nitrate reading after the 80% PWC.

Do not be afraid of an 80% change. I do it every week.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, you would need to use weighted average.

I've derived a formula for that where "A" is your desired level of nitrate in the water column, however, A must be greater than Tap. The equation gets you to how much water change is needed.

Quick Calc.jpg
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post

Do not be afraid of an 80% change. I do it every week.
    I do probably 65-70% on all 4 of my tanks, once a week.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers