· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default My Betta refused to eat for 2 weeks!

0 Not allowed!
    My Betta refused to eat for 2 weeks! He would look at the food and near the end of the 2 weeks would occasionally eat/spit out the food. I tried the food that the LFS was feeding, he couldn't care less! I tried 5 different types of food then finally the little diva decided he liked the floating betta pellets.

Now my 2 cents (betta owner of a little over a month who has done a lot of reading/hand wringing/never heard of cycling before this, anyway...)I have read that the freeze dried foods can swell in the betta's stomach, so please be careful. I have also read that the pea works and the you can take a day off of feeding each week. The betta's stomach is the size of his eye...even though they greet you like they have never eaten before...

Again, newbie advice, but maybe he just needs a rest, if not I would try the pea. What were the water test results? Also, there are heaters that have thermostats in them to keep the temp constant...I've done plenty of hand wringing myself...

Good Luck and Get Well Soon to Susanna!!! (My betta is a crowntail too!)

2. Default More Info...

0 Not allowed!
    This is what I found in my Betta guidebook...
    " Constipation
    Occurrence: Common
    Symptoms: poor appetite, swollen stomach region, inactivity, pale, stringy
    feces remain attached to the anus
    Cause: Incorrect diet, overfeeding
    Treatment: Fish should go without eating for several days. Then switch to live food for awhile. Gradually switch back to prepaired foods with occasional live treats, but strive to improve the diet."

Hope this helps!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can soak the freeze dried food so it swells before you feed your Betta.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Betta113. You have done some of the legwork for me.

I'm just gonna call it overfeeding. And I'm ditching those freezedried foods for all the fish...it's just not good. I can easily get and afford frozen foods to supplement any flake/pellet food I give. That way I don't have to worry about my fish ballooning up after I feed them.

I hope Susanna makes it. At this point, I guess I could give her an epsom salt dip, but she won't eat anything, so peas are out. I have yet to check on her this morning...hope she's still breathing.

God, I am so stupid sometimes. How could I have possibly done this with my rational mind? Why would I treat this fish any differently from my others? Sigh.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You're welcome. I'm glad I could help. Is Susanna feeling better today?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for asking. Nope. No better. It's wierd though. Instead of just, well, languishing, she's actively hiding at the bottom of the tank. Like, finding places to hide and staring out at me.

She doesn't look any more bloated, but she's not interested in food.

I am stumped. If it isn't bloat, what could it be? I'm thinking she doesn't feel good physically and she's depressed or something. At this point, I am trying to be objective about it and just try to help her. Who knows if she will make it. But I definitely know what to do differently from here on out.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.