· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Severums problem

0 Not allowed!
    Hello i got 4 new severums. The tank is 180 litres. I fishless cycled it. Mostly the fish were doing good. But one doesnt seem to be doing very well now. It gets bullyed by the other guys. Its fins are bitten and i can see that one eye is a bit swollen. It also has some brown patches on its scales. Sometimes it layes down on the ground. What should i do?
    Last edited by djjoni2; 10-28-2012 at 02:02 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Is 180l 60 gallongs? That's not enough for 4 severums. I'd suggest 2 MAXIMUM if it was a male/female. Also what type of severum?
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes i think its a 60 gal. Theyre gold severums.

0 Not allowed!
    What size are the fish? I suggest sexing them. Also may I ask what the dimensions are for the tank?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Size 4-6 inches. I think its 2 males and 2 females. The ganked one i think is a female. About the dimensions of the tank : height 22" lenght 35" width 25". I dont know if im measuring it right because its a "corner" tank with a curved front glass and on the back it looks like a triangle.

0 Not allowed!
    The severums are not recommended in tanks less than 48 inches, but i believe with proper filtration and proper maintenance you could keep ONE severum in a tank this size. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you return the other 3 fish or they WILL kill each other.

EDIT: returning to what i said about sexing, you may choose to keep 1 male. I will post a picture of the differences between the sexes.

Male, note the pointed fins and the "heftier" chest. Also the more prominent red coloration on the anal fin.
    http://i37.tinypic.com/15879dh.jpg

Female, not the lack of the red and the less flowing nature of the fins.

http://www.aquariumdomain.com/images...ldSeverum1.jpg

To elaborate on the fins, the males will have long flowing fins. Females fins won't extend very far past their tail fin, if at all.
    Last edited by Northerly; 10-28-2012 at 03:04 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    With some Cichlids, like severums, you always have the risk of them becoming territorial and then defending their territory from other cichlids. In a smaller tank like yours, the lack or required space that they would need would make this problem much much worse as you are experiancing right now

I would aggree with Northerly that even a single severum would need at least a 48 inch long 55 gallon tank as the bare minimum, and even that size can be debated as too small or even one. If you want more than one, then you would be looking at a 75 gallon, or a 6' long 125 gallon depending on the exact numbers you want to keep
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Ditto to everyone above. Tanks too small for all those fish. Keep one and save the others by finding them homes or giving to the fish store.