· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Setting up an RCS breeding colony...any advice?

1 Not allowed!
    Hi, all. I want to set up a breeding colony of RCS in a 10g tank, so I can move the offspring into my Angkor tank as they grow up. I'm new to RCS. There are currently nine of them, with a gravel substrate, a little internal filter, a few misc. plants, and an airstone. Any advice on set up, décor, feeding, etc? I really want them to breed like little bunnies.

Thanks!

T
    Do not rejoice over me yet, o my enemy, for even if I fall, I will rise again. Even when I dwell in darkness, the Lord will be my light. Micah 7:8

"Angkor" 55g Southeast Asia Community Tank
    "Loch Badger" Pond Journal

1 Not allowed!
    Java moss, they love java moss for cover. I know one of my females recently had babies and I rarely see them because they're always hiding.

The 10g I have them in is a community tank with about 9-10 of the smaller tetras (black neon and glowlight), so my colony may not grow quite as fast as yours would.

Also make sure you baffle your filter intake with a sponge or some other barrier so that the fry don't get sucked into the intake of your filter system.

I think another member used a specific substrate (my tank doesn't use substrate), so maybe they can assist you so you can see if the brand they used is available in your area.

Good luck...

20 gal tall - 6 rasbora het, 7 rummy tetras, 2 glowlight tetras, 2 oto cats, 1 zebra nerite, 1 assassin snail, Planted tank.

10 gal tank - java moss carpet, 1 piece of spider wood with java moss and 1 young crypto plant attached to it, 1 CT Male betta - Basara, cherry shrimp, and olive nerite

5 gallon Betta tank - planted tank and 1 moss ball, Helios (HM BETTA MALE), 1 endlers male, 1 assassin snail

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 
    Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 Get well soon! - RiversGirl Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Happy Safe Delivery! - Rue 

1 Not allowed!
    I agree with the moss recommendation as well as covering your intake with a prefilter sponge. I use Christmas moss and subwassertang, but just about any moss will do the job.

0 Not allowed!
    My java moss is actually not attached to the small piece of slate anymore, but the thickness of the carpet that it's formed keeps it holding it's shape (the piece of slate is still in the tank however in case there's still like one or two strands of the moss attached to it lol)

Also if you put driftwood or spider wood in the tank with the colony (for additional hiding) make sure you put java moss over any sharp points (if there's just shrimp in this tank it's not really necessary to do this unless you want the extra coverage for decoration). Those mesh bags that you buy fruit in are great to cut apart to tie the moss to the wood. Just be sure you rinse them thoroughly before using them to ensure there's no pesticides left on them (slap actually was the one that suggested this).

20 gal tall - 6 rasbora het, 7 rummy tetras, 2 glowlight tetras, 2 oto cats, 1 zebra nerite, 1 assassin snail, Planted tank.

10 gal tank - java moss carpet, 1 piece of spider wood with java moss and 1 young crypto plant attached to it, 1 CT Male betta - Basara, cherry shrimp, and olive nerite

5 gallon Betta tank - planted tank and 1 moss ball, Helios (HM BETTA MALE), 1 endlers male, 1 assassin snail

2 Not allowed!
    I concur with those above: you'll need a good prefilter over your filter intake and shrimp love moss.

Mine also seem to like cholla wood. They love other plants, as well. I often see them in the roots that hang down from the lace Java Fern.

I have a piece of dw that has many little cracks and hidey holes. My RCS have long since moved into those like a little highrise apartment building. Now that Christmas Moss has grown all over it, there is a whole lot of shrimp that dwell there.

0 Not allowed!
    Most of the branches of the spider wood I have in the ten gallon have a little 'ball' of java moss covering the tips as I originally had Helios, my betta, in that tank. They're growing quickly. I think it's because the growth accelerates since I've been cutting pieces off the carpet and putting them elsewhere.

May have to look into cholla wood for the 10 gallon, as I don't think i'll be returning Helios to that tank. Isn't Cholla wood in the reptile section?

Sorry if I'm deviating from the questions from WhistlingBadger. If it becomes bothersome let me know.

1 Not allowed!
    Good suggestions above.

As long as you have a good mix of males and females and params are good, there's really nothing special you need to do to get them to breed.

There's special shrimp foods out there, but they'll eat just about any fish food, as well as algae...good quality sinking fish foods are best

In addition to the cholla wood, try some alder cones...shrimp love them, but not sure why, lol

I'd recommend getting more RCS, maybe 10 more, to help diversify the gene pool.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

8. Default

4 Not allowed!
    I have a piece of dw in there, and some random floating plants--culls from my big tank. I've never been able to grow moss worth crud, but I'll add some more plants. Would fake ones do? I also have the foot of a nylon hose over the filter intake. Mrs. Badger barely even rolled her eyes when I asked for one. She really loves me...
    Do not rejoice over me yet, o my enemy, for even if I fall, I will rise again. Even when I dwell in darkness, the Lord will be my light. Micah 7:8

"Angkor" 55g Southeast Asia Community Tank
    "Loch Badger" Pond Journal

1 Not allowed!
    LOL...keep an eye on the nylon, they tend to clog quickly

Will a SS mesh filter work instead?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

1 Not allowed!
    I can confirm the nylon clogging quickly part. I used it as a baffle for my filters a long time ago. It never stayed where I wanted it to on the intake either, and was such a pain to get off to clean as well. I have never used it as a baffle since.