· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default Help with algae ID

0 Not allowed!
    I've been hunting around on the AC and online but I'm not sure what algae this is.

I have white aquarium rocks, so while the algae problem isn't too bad, it shows up really obviously and doesn't look so nice.

Can anyone positively ID this stuff so I can figure how to proceed?

Thanks in advance,
    Froggy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Waterfroggy; 10-26-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    African Dwarf Frogs, Betta, Dwarf Chain Loaches, Otocilclus, Ember Tetras, Amano Shrimp in one magical 31 gallon tank

Two pea puffers in another tank!

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah regular green algae. I would suggest disturbing the substrate every week or so since you can't cut down on your light, due to the plants.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I guess I was making it too hard, didn't know there is just a plain green algae!

I combined a treatment of 35% hydrogen peroxide (really hard to find in that strength) and salt and stirred it and let it bubble for a few days out side the tank and it took it off the tiny rocks.

I'm going to slowly treat all the rocks like that, rinse thoroughly and put them back.

Stirring up the substrate is a great idea, will do each week.

Thanks y'all.

Froggy.
    African Dwarf Frogs, Betta, Dwarf Chain Loaches, Otocilclus, Ember Tetras, Amano Shrimp in one magical 31 gallon tank

Two pea puffers in another tank!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Check your phosphate levels in the tank - this is green algae food par-excellence and if these are high (over 1 ppm), nothing will stop the algae from regrowing; needless to say, other issues could be occuring instead but this is a big one that can lead to algae growth.

Don't forget to check nitrate levels (should be around 3 ppm for plants.) Too low will help algae and high will, too. I'd think your water changes could handle this issue but worth checking. Balance is what is critical for an aquarium with plants and fish.
    Last edited by Cermet; 10-29-2012 at 04:26 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Instead of "stirring up" your substrate, which would most likely just make your water look dirty and release even more nutrients into the water which the algae can use, I would suggest a good gravel vac. It will remove the crud (a potential algae food source) and hopefully at least some of the algae as well.

Keeping your nitrates and phosphates as low as possible, and your lighting at the appropriate levels and length of time will help reduce your algae for you. If you want to get rid of the algae, that approach would work better in the long run as compared to cleaning your rocks. After all, a lack of cleaning your rocks did not cause the algae to grow in the first place.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default Re: Help with algae ID

0 Not allowed!
    What's wrong with a little green algae? It's not like natural bodies of water are sparkly clean :P