· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Serious BGA & Brown Algae Problem

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm experiencing a serious BGA and Brown algae outbreak, I've increased my water changes, removed the driftwood and vacuumed all the substrate beneath it, lowered the amount of time the lights are own and even tried some Dr Tim's waste away which I had remaining. My Discus have begun to hide and are now very skittish much like how newly introduced Discus behave. I see they're various chemicals such as Chemiclean (which I'm unsure if its freshwater safe) that safely remove cyanobacteria. I would just like some recommendations on what to do in this situation.

Here's the blue green algae.

Also you can see the brown algae on my background in this post which I assume are diatoms which makes no sense considering my tank has been well established almost a year now. It's mostly prevalent on the background and giant sword, which is much worse now, what to do?

Thanks
    Last edited by mojosodope; 02-03-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Added details

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you inject CO2? If not, that might be the missing link. I use DIY CO2 and whenever it runs out, I have crazy algae issues.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No CO2 and the lights are marineland doublebright leds, so they're low - medium light.

0 Not allowed!
    Try some chemipure in you filter. Diatoms need silicates to survive so you must have some silicates in your water supply (not uncommon). Chemipure works pretty good at removing silicates. Once the silicates are gone so will your diatoms.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just added a second pack of biomax in the second basket so I'll remove that and put in the chemi pure elite grande but I'm going to try the chemiclean, anyone know if I should get the liquid or powder form?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=24842

0 Not allowed!
    Here;s some other good info on BG algae, which is really a form of bacteria and not algae

http://www.myfishtank.net/articles/b...algae-article/

I have not used chemiclean before so I can not comment on it. I once had a really bad outbreak that I could not get rid of no matter what I tried. In the end, I had to use antibiotics to clear it. Just make sure if you chose that method, you pick a antibiotic that will not kill off your BB and you should be fine

Edit: sorry, I had the wrong link in this post, I just changed it so it is now the one I intended to post
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-03-2013 at 10:42 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    I had chronic BG algae in my discus tank and it was mostly due to high phosphates (tends to be absorbed by sand and slowly released over time) and my large water changes did keep the nitrates under 5 ppm but that was not good enough. The algae scrubber solved the problem and allowed my daily 50% W/C (which weren't doing much since this tap water also had nitrates!) to be reduced to 50% bi-weekly and NO more BGA!

As for chemicals - bad move with discus and antibotics work but aren't the best thing in the world for fish or humans (avoiding these when not needed is always best; I'm NOT saying don't use them when needed!)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the link Cliff, I knew bga is actually cyanobacteria but theres some pretty good info in that article.

And Cermet I know Discus are really touchy with chemicals so I was going to use that as my last alternative, I'm already seeing the effects of that cyanobacteria on the fish and I can't afford to lose any fish right now.

So let me get this clear, the BGA went away after you increased your water changes and introduced the algae scrubber?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Red face

0 Not allowed!
    Yes and no to your question; after the scrubber I decreased my water changes. This was NOT because I felt fewer water changes are in general the better way to go to treat this problem but because water changes with my tap increased nitrate levels (since my tap already had 10 ppm.)

As such, doing just 75% w/c a day would most likely prevent BGA for you but once established, will not remove it. That said, I removed the BGA by vacuuming (lost most the top layer of sand that way but worth it.) Just take plants out and use mechanical action to remove it from plants. Hydrogen peroxide works on some plants but be careful, some plants are sensitive to H2O2. Once clean, I added the algae scrubber and since than, I've never had BGA or any algae reoccur.

Due to my tap issues, I reduced my W/C from 90% bi-weekly (including daily vacuuming) to 50% bi-weekly and vacuuming every other day (got lazy.) My canister takes care of fish waste and the algae scrubber removes nitrates - far, far too well. My nitrates run about 0.5 - 0.8 ppm. This is terribly low and no plant will exist at this level. If you use an algae scrubber and want plants, there is a simple approach but I'll not get into that for now. If you decide to try one (build your own - I have a site that provides details, and if you desire, parts (like the Red LED's!) or even complete kits or assembled units) let me know and I'll PM you the site.

Nitrates are a pain and combined with phosphates just is asking for BGA to grow - discus eat a lot, are messy and produce a lot of waste. The best solution is massive daily water changes and/or massive plant growth. In the real world of most of us, I'll take the scrubber and do smaller W/C's even if I didn't have the nitrate issue with my tap.

By the way, I had, on two occasions, massive outbreaks of BGA and it was fairly harmless to my fish. Not that it is good but I am a little surprise your fish are suffering. Consider a Seachem Nitrate (and includes nitrite) kit. These measure very low levels and are very accurate. Nice to know the true value - say 2.4 ppm Nitrate rather than under 5 ppm like the API kit (with guessing about how yellow the water is ... .) Seachem sells a phosphate kit but while I like that, it is not necessary to know this as long as the nitrates are low and water changes are fairly large and regular.

By the way, don’t forget to do deep stirrings of the substrate to remove nitrates, phosphates and liquid fish waste that builds up in fine substrates like sand. This can be a serious issue as I’ve repeatedly found out to my displeasure … .

Sorry for the delay but I had a dangerous problem to deal with - my heating plant's exhaust pipe started to fall apart (monoxide posioning) and I had to build and instal a new uint - this occured as I was trying to fix some issues with the tank. I was a little overwhelmed by that and my very distant commute (122 miles a day - ugh!) And the next day my daughters car had water in the fuel filter (it froze over night) and I had to fix that - when it rains it pours ... well, really, I should say, snows with our latest weather ... .
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-05-2013 at 12:10 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First off let me thank you for your reply and no apology needed, I'm grateful for your advice and your experience on this issue. I can't even imagine what you had to go through that day considering there has never and most likely will never be snow where I am lol. I hope everything is okay now with your work, tank and daughter's car.

That being said, I did a massive water change today as I've neglected the tank over the past couple days, vacuumed out most of the cyano that was visible, cleaned the fx5 and general maintenance on the tank, took about 2 hours to do everything. Then as I sat by the tank afterwards relaxing I noticed something disturbing about my plants, almost all of my anubias had some browning on the leaves, my red indian sword also and the abubias roots were turning yellow. I have no idea what is going on I've never had a problem with the anubias before since the tank has been up and now I'm worried.

Is it possible that since I added a considerable amount of new plants that there aren't enough minerals to go around ( I don't dose liquid plant ferts), I only have root tabs on the rooted plants such as the crypts and swords.

I had some flourish so I dosed that and some iron for the red indian sword but what should I do to stop the leaves from turning brown and dying??

Thanks