· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Awards Showcase

for your advice and support! - gourami*girl Dude, Thanks from those of us that can only send help. - 850R Have a cool one after helping those around you - Cliff You will probably need a few more of these before you are done - mommy1 Thanks for helping get peoples lives back to normal - mommy1 
    and one more - mommy1 Have another - KingFisher and one more because we all appreciate what you are doing. - mommy1 Looks like your down a qt - Cliff Yeah, because you still need more appreciation. - mommy1 
    It HAS to be time for a burger, There might be more beers on the way :-D - 850R Your effort in NYC is appreciated! - Cory Catfish We all appreciate what you are doing! Thank you! - Cory Catfish thank for being you - Lady Hobbs more - Lady Hobbs 
    For all your hard work - sailor to bolster your spirits - fishmommie Well deserved - Aeonflame Have another on me - Aeonflame Cheers! For all your hard work! - Trillianne 
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - C-Dub Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - C-Dub Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - C-Dub Autism - C-Dub Childhood Cancer - C-Dub 

0 Not allowed!
    problem with the natural gas one's is in a natural disaster such as sandy most natural gas line's valves were shut to decrease risk of fire...

Reliance makes great transfer switches, the size of generator would all depend on the size of the electrical service you have in your home. For most folks an 8,500w will do great with a 12 circuit transfer switch. whole thing will run ya about 3 grand after installation.

I most deal with commercial, so I do a great deal of 3 phase generators which are substantially different (and waaaay more costly) then a typical single phase service you would see in a residential home.
    55 Gal- Fluval 305 & Aqua Clear 70;
    2 Gold Veil Angels, 1 GBR, 1 Gold Nugget Pleco, and 11 pesky Zebra Danio's.

Awards Showcase

for your advice and support! - gourami*girl Dude, Thanks from those of us that can only send help. - 850R Have a cool one after helping those around you - Cliff You will probably need a few more of these before you are done - mommy1 Thanks for helping get peoples lives back to normal - mommy1 
    and one more - mommy1 Have another - KingFisher and one more because we all appreciate what you are doing. - mommy1 Looks like your down a qt - Cliff Yeah, because you still need more appreciation. - mommy1 
    It HAS to be time for a burger, There might be more beers on the way :-D - 850R Your effort in NYC is appreciated! - Cory Catfish We all appreciate what you are doing! Thank you! - Cory Catfish thank for being you - Lady Hobbs more - Lady Hobbs 
    For all your hard work - sailor to bolster your spirits - fishmommie Well deserved - Aeonflame Have another on me - Aeonflame Cheers! For all your hard work! - Trillianne 
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - C-Dub Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - C-Dub Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - C-Dub Autism - C-Dub Childhood Cancer - C-Dub 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus
    Or Propane.

C-Dub, I wonder which fuel seems to be preferred as people are having the backup generators installed? Just curious...
    I'm also guessing that the transfer trip switch is almost as expensive as the generator itself.

To answer your 2 question's;

1)- I would say in commercial settings the portable diesel fuel generators are the most popular. A lot of chain franchises own a few (Usually pre-loaded on tractor trailors) and truck them out to stores in need. I saw quite a bit of this in the past few weeks, they basically stay strapped on the bed of the truck and dropped off, they have quick connect and release cords that get directly tied-in to pre-installed lugs on the buss of the main distribution. These believe it or not, 9 times out of 10 are an easier install then residential homes.
    1)a}- I would say in homes most people opt for the gasoline generators (at least here on LI) because of price, and easy storage when not in use, although if I were to purchese one I deem it would be a propane driven one. Only because of the craziness I witnessed in the purchase of gasoline post-sandy, and the amount of natural gas lines that were shut off like I mentioned in the post above.

2)- The Reliance series transfer switches are very nice. They come pre-wired and made for a somewhat easy install. 190MPH is 100% accurate in his post earlier about the installation process of the transfer switch. I believe the 12 circuit TS, which gives you two, 2-pole capable breakers (for 220v-240v appliances) with a 50 amp twist-lock connection from the generator to the home. This allows you a load of 50 amps per phase. This particular panel is up around 600 dollars, keep in mind this does not include wire needed to be ran from said transfer switch panel to outside twistlock, depending on where you want to locate your generator outside, this can become a very significant cost as well bc copper wire is EXPENSIVE as heck to say the least. For 50amp TS panels you need #6 thhn AWG feeders, depending on length of the run you have to price accordingly. Placement of generator right outside your home closest to your electrical panel will obviously always be the most cost effective, although some folks do not always have that option. The reliance 6 circuit panel is 300 dollars, with 30amp twistlock which allows you to run #10 thhn AWG wire (way cheaper). Down side is you only get one, two-pole option for 220v-240v appliances. So it all really depends on each individual circumstance and how much power you want...

I apologize for the long winded post, I hope this helps if any of you are in the market and are trying to get an idea of how the whole process unfolds.

Also in my post above I said an 8,500w gen with a 12 circuit TS panel would do you just fine, I apologize that is incorrect, I believe you need around a 12,000w gen to get into the 50amp twist lock range( 12 circuit TS panels use 50amp twistlock feeds)... A 8,500w gen would work great on a 6 circuit TS panel, pardon the mis-information.

Whew I need a beer now!
    Last edited by C-Dub; 11-14-2012 at 09:27 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks CD, informative! I'm looking in the 6500-8500w range for myself. I'd love a Honda, but they are $$. Generac looks like the next best option, very good reviews generally. I'm curious how long a generator would run on propane. I saw a 3250 propane powered one in Lowes the other night, but didn't look at the specs. I'd probably only need one double pole switch for my well pump, plus the regular single poles for the fridge, tv, and others(fish tanks!). So the 6 breaker TS(which I think is expandable to 10), would be my best option. I may have to incur the extra cost for a longer cord to the outdoor plug, as my main panel is on the side wall in the basement. But I'd rather have the genny in the back yard.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Honda's are very good but too pricey IMO, is the Generac the one with the Subaru motor? If so I've heard they are very good if not better.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Generac manufactures their own for certain series right in Wisconsin. It's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward them, because some of the models are made here. I'm not sure which use the Subaru engine, although I did see a blurb on a message board that they may have used them several years ago. The one thing I like about their models with the OHVI(overhead valve, industrial) motors is that they are a pressurized lube system. This will provide a longer life, if maintained properly, versus a standard splash lube motor.
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Being a Union construction worker in NY I'm all about things being "made in America", lol. I say go with it, sounds like you've done your fair share of research.

Pressurized for obvious reasons is far superior to splash type lubrication systems, they stopped using splash lubrication systems in cars for a reason, lol. Don't understand why its still used in smaller engines, like lawn mowers, power washers, etc. The life span on a pressurized system is substantially longer as moving parts don't wear down as quickly.

I always like as much lube as possible covering my moving parts

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dub
    Whew I need a beer now!
    Yeah, you do! Thanks for satisfying my curiousity. And I agree with your propane choice of fuel.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"