· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Betta Advice Needed

0 Not allowed!
    The fry have grown up and given away so now I have one open tank. I visited my LFS to check out their bettas...and now I have decided I want a betta!

A couple questions:

-There is an absolutely gorgeous male elephant ear betta. I would really like to have him but my LFS is asking 18 bucks for him. I'm not sure that's worth it. (Is it?)

-They also have these super cute baby bettas and some of them have awesome coloring that the adult ones don't have. I'm not sure if I should take on one though. Are they super hard to take care of/do they have a high mortality rate?

-If those two options are a "no" then should I just get a regular betta, or does anyone have a recommendation for a particular species?

-The tank in question is the fry tank in my profile. ATM I have an AC HOB filter on it. There's not much in it except substrate, an air pump, a heater, and a marimo ball. If I get a betta I plan on adding plants to it. Is there anything other then plants I could add that would in some way be beneficial for a betta?

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: The only elephant ear betta I could find online was at petco-$64 with shipping, haha. I think I'll search a while longer...
    Last edited by Cory Catfish; 10-27-2012 at 07:49 PM.
    I tested 97% positive for Multiple Tank Syndrome
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish
    King of the Virtual [Cory] Catfish

0 Not allowed!
    18 views and still no help?

Anyone?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish

0 Not allowed!
    To clarify a little on the baby bettas they are already about 0.7 inches long.

I found out that the elephant ear betta has longer side fins then normal(that should have been obvious-"elephant ears"- lol) and it makes it harder for them to swim. Not so into them anymore.

FYI I understand I will have to feed the babies daphnia and brine shrimp eggs. I have done so in the past with other fish and will be willing to do it again
    Last edited by Cory Catfish; 10-27-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for double posting. But I did a little more research and I am ruling out baby bettas and elephant ear bettas. That leaves me with the last two questions in mind. Hopefuly a betta expert or lover will step in.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I'm still learning about bettas, but I will tell you what I know.

1. Bettas like lots of cover, places to hide.

2. Some surface cover is good

3. They don't like strong current...those beautiful fins slow them down. Watch filter current. My current tiny filter is even a lot for Susanna to handle.

4. Prefer lower light...so low light plants. I have two moss balls, two anubias, and a bunch of SILK plants (so as not to injure fins) in my 5gal betta tank.

5. They are easily bored. Change up the environment frequently. Don't overfeed, as I have read they tend to overeat.

Oh, and they like it about 80 - 82F temp. wise. They are lovely animals. If you aren't necessarily hung up on the very long flowing fins, females are just wonderful. If you want to raise a little one, I'd say try it...but do more research first.

Anyway, just a noob. But I could tell you needed a little bit of info to get you started.

0 Not allowed!
    Probably getting a female. Thanks for quick-ish reply. Do you think king bettas would be a good and worthwhile choice? I like them because they seem much bigger and much more active then the veiltails. I'm not sure if the differences between betta "breeds" are that big. If the kings are pro-aggresive I will not get them as I want some tankmate for the betta. (some sort of non schooling fish that fits in a 10. suggestions?)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As far as I know, you shouldn't count on having tankmates with a betta, even a female. It depends on the betta's personality. I briefly had a very sweet crowntail female who was even harassing the snail in her tank. But I know of bettas living in community tanks. I guess you just have to wait and see, and remember that bettas are naturally somewhat agressive.

Types of bettas are kind of a non-issue aside from appearances, I think. I did a lot of research into this, and couldn't find much about the domesticated kinds.

I have a new crown tail female and I must admit I'm smitten with her. I have no experience with any other type.

As far as non-schooling small tankmates, I'm really not sure...everything I can think of needs a school or can be agressive.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bethyMT
    As far as I know, you shouldn't count on having tankmates with a betta, even a female. It depends on the betta's personality. I briefly had a very sweet crowntail female who was even harassing the snail in her tank. But I know of bettas living in community tanks. I guess you just have to wait and see, and remember that bettas are naturally somewhat agressive.

Types of bettas are kind of a non-issue aside from appearances, I think. I did a lot of research into this, and couldn't find much about the domesticated kinds.

I have a new crown tail female and I must admit I'm smitten with her. I have no experience with any other type.

As far as non-schooling small tankmates, I'm really not sure...everything I can think of needs a school or can be agressive.

I will just have to take my chances this time. A looong time ago I had a very sweet male who lived peacefully with my cories. Unfortunately back then my20 was the only tank, I was a total noob, and the betta died of terrible water conditions. If the betta is annoying the fish hopefuly I can move it to my extremely understocked Microcommunities ithout stressing out way too much.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like crowntails. They are just like a normal veiltail in average temperament, but they just look so intimidating and awesome. Next time i get a betta im getting a crowntail. The breed of the betta doesnt have really anything to do with aggression IME. You could try him with some dwarf frogs or a small peaceful schooling fish if you have a backup plan.

Mine lived peacefully with cories and dwarf frogs and a few times i threw molly fry in there to grow out for a few weeks. Taught the mollies survival skills. :D Only once did my oldest attack and i dont even know why but the corie he attacked was fine afterwards. Just had a little blood spot on his head but it went away with no scarring. :) Dont keep them with guppies though. The flowing tails confuse them and make them think they are bettas.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything