· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with William. A poorly trained dog, or not trained at all, is not an enjoyment to have around. I find nothing wrong with being firm with dogs and I was. I had several German Shepards but they did not get disciplined in the same manner as my Yorkie.

My kids also got a spanking or a swat when they warranted it. Beating, screaming and knocking your animal around is not the same thing as a quick swat followed by a stern NO. But you must do it the same every time followed by NO. Eventually, NO, is enough but you must be consistant by not letting them do something one day but the next day they get in trouble for it.

One word commands is what they learn. Don't throw entire sentences at them. They don't understand the English language and they don't understand screaming at them.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have raised and bred Pomeranian's for years and to compare teaching or slapping children to slapping dogs is the same as apples to oranges. Children can be talked to and told why they are being punished or spanked a dog can't. I can tell you a Pomeranian will not forget the person who has hit or hurt it and if it is not stopped it will become cowed around anyone like the one who has hurt it (man, woman, children). I am not talking about mistreating the dog I'm talking about anything that scares or hurts them.
    30 gal Freshwater
    1 young Angel, 6 Pepper Corydoras, 5 Harlequin Rasbora 1 Bristle-nose Pleco

Thumbs down

0 Not allowed!
    I don't agree with violence against animals (or children for that matter). People only tend to hit something/someone when they've lost their temper.

I'm a bit advocate of Cesar Millan's dog training methods - he uses a touch (basically he gives the dog a poke on the leg or something) on the dog's side to snap them out of being fixated on something, but never more than that...and never as punishment. Animals don't understand punishment like adult human beings do.

0 Not allowed!
    One thing I want to add here is to lead by example. If you get worked up it wont help, will send mixed signals.

If you lead by example the dog will pick up 99% of what you will ever need it to know without the need for training. And perhaps more importantly without the need for commands, the dog will simply know what you want, sometimes before you do based on the signals you send out thoruhg your body language..
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I wish my dad were still alive, we grew up on cattle ranch's and I never saw him hit a dog (wish I could say the same about my brother and I LOL)but somehow he had them trained to hand signels something I forgot to ask him about before he passed away.

I remember one time one of the hands took a rope to his dog and my father snapped him with his rope and told him if that was the way he wanted to treat his dog he could leave. I never saw that man hit his dog again and he worked another two years for us.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No problem with correcting a dog. A flogging on the other hand is not ok, that is only anger from the handler, and not beneficial to a dogs training.

I will be purchasing an e-collar for my GSD very shortly. Excellent on lead, but offlead she knows she cant be corrected and can be a holy terror, too darn smart for her own good. A few 'zaps' and her behaviour will modify. The e collar can be very handy for breaking through her prey drive also. I'm talking a qick zap, not one that has her screaming in terror as i have seen some owners do.
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

0 Not allowed!
    I pop my kid on the behind, and I pop my dog on the behind. Works for me. I guess it's just what you are comfortable with as long as you don't cross that line into abuse. I'm the biggest animal rights person you'll find out there, but I'm not above discipline.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Well, it helps when one can distinquish animal abuse, violence and beatings compared to a general correcting of the dog.

*sheesh

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I totally agree with Hobbs.

And if you are ever in doubt over what constitutes discipline over abuse...opt on the side of 'less'.

Animals are rough with each other, physical with each other. But they are rarely malicious (although it can happen). They discipline...and then it's over and done with.

Discipline with animals must happen immediately...within 5-10 seconds in most instances to be effective. Discipline must also suit the species. A shake of dog using the scruff of his neck is effective. You cannot ever 'hit' a bird...under no circumstances. So know what works with what animal.

Also be careful with how you discipline...I don't know how many times I've seen a person call and cajole a dog over to them...and then 'discipline' them for something the dog did previously (and can make no connection with).

All that teaches the dog is to avoid the person...because he never knows when he's going to be disciplined...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    I am a believer in the rolled up newspaper. However I only use it in the act of misbehaving. I have also not had to swat my dog with a newspaper since he was about 1 year old. I also didnt just let his behavior go because he was a cute puppy. It has to start day one when you get the dog...when he was a puppy and doing something I did not want him to do I would promptly swat him on the rear with the paper. Given his thick coat I doubt he felt it, but it made noise and he promptly got a stern "no". I would also ignore him for a few minutes following the misbehavior, it worked very well. All of my past dogs have been trained in the same manner.

Now for cats...a newspaper just doesn't work especially for my current cat. She is quite intelligent and defiant. However to get her in line a spray from a can of air duster in her general direction is very effective. She knows she is not supposed to do certain things like get on the kitchen counter but does it anyway. It isnt good to directly spray the animal...just in the general direction to get the loud hissing noise followed by a "no".
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon