· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Thumbs up my first cichlid tank!

0 Not allowed!
    Well I have a GBR in my community tank, but now I finally have a tank devoted to cichlids. Ive been intrigued by cichlids for years since I had a tank many years ago. I originally wanted an African set up but soon changed my mind. The colors they offer are nice but I heard they tend to hide. From what I've read, new world cichlids tend to be more like pets than fish.

Anyway, after my research, I've found convict cichlids to be a suitable start due to their hardiness. I didn't want to mix males and females b/c I have no room for thousands of convicts. So I found what I think to be a beautiful female convict. She is approx 1.75". But since I bought her yesterday, she spends most of the time in her cave and when I've dropped food in she hasn't noticed at all and the pellets quickly sink without her noticing. Is this normal for cichlids? All the fish in my community tank have eaten right away. I would also love to hear some stories from some convict owners about their personality and such.

0 Not allowed!
    Give her some time. Maybe keep the lights off for the next 24-48 hours. If she isn't taking the food, don't keep giving it to her. That will just result in polluted water. Is your tank cycled?
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I put gravel from my main tank in a net and tied it and put it in the new tank. And im also using what's left of my bottle of SeaChem Stability. So no, the tank is not cycled yet. But yea im leaving the tank lights off full time. I've turned them on when I dropped food in both times to help teach her that light=meal. I know I should hold off feeding, but Idont want her to starve so im just dropping 2 pellets in at a time when I feed my other tank.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    If the tank isn't cycled you need to read how to cycle with fish; first off, do 90% water changes daily until you know the ammonia level in the tank! Never let it climb above 0.25 ppm. Try and keep it lower. Watch for nitrites starting and keep them as close to zero as possible but below 0.1 ppm. Add an air stone/pump! Use the additive to convert ammonia to ammonium (maybe your pH is below 7.0 so this will help a lot.)

Not fun to cycle with a Cichild - gravel from an existing cycled tank will do just about nothing - you need to get your filter cycled (the media in it, really.)

Be very careful to remove ALL food waste because that will really pollute the tank fast and kill your fish. So, vacuum up the food after half an hour.

Best of luck and be sure to test for ammonia and nitrites daily!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I cycled my other aquarium with fish so I think I got the routine down.lol. im keeping the ammonia at 0.25 with daily or every other day 25%-50% w.c. My pH is right at 7.5 so no ammonium. I think daily 90% changes would be a little drastic. I want to keep some ammonia in there to give the BB something to feed on. Don't worry though, ill be doing everything I can to keep her safe. She is the coolest looking convict I've seen anywhere(even in pictures). So ill be keeping her health as a top priority.

Another question, I've read that convicts eat live plants, can anybody verify if this is true or not? I have some plants in the other tank that I could transfer b/c I know plants will feed on the ammonia and help the cycle.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Definitely should cycle your tank 1st time do lots of water changes and if your Con isn't eating take the old food out and dump it, what color are your rocks?? Females color up more if the substrate is darker and their food intake has variety. I have 3 Cons 2 Black and 1 Pink, one of the Black Cons is Male and the others are Females, personally I think if your going to keep Cichlids of any kind your first experience should be with them breeding, you don't have to keep the babies because they will eventually kill them off to start a new batch what I was doing was keeping maybe one or 2 and growing them out a little and then just giving them away to friends but now I'm trying something new with mine and hopefully they help with the experiment. I recommend getting your female comfortable with where she is and getting the tank cycled then possibly introducing a Male

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My substrate is a mix of grey and black sand. Its not as dark as id like it so ill be mixing in some more black sand when I start losing sand in the vacuum. I moved the 4 pellets to the mouth of the cave and she poked her head out and nibbled 3 of th em down.

And I thought cons were amazing parents to their fry? I didn't know they would eat their young. My worry was that id have hundreds of fry in each batch and no stores around me accept convict donations. However, I am really interested to see their breeding behavior so ill contemplate getting her a mate after the tank cycles.

0 Not allowed!
    Take some filter media out of your running filter and put it in the new filter, asap. This is really the only quick and easy way to cycle with fish.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I did something similar to that. I let the new filter run in the cycled tank for 3 or 4 days. I don't think that was quite long enough, but it should have at least a little good bacteria on it. My filter media is cartridges and they aren't the same sizes or else I would have done that. Im not looking for an instant cycle. Im very willing to do the required work. Good things take time right?