· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Do you name all your fish??

0 Not allowed!
    I hope this hasnt been done before. Do you name all your fish? I have talked to quite a few people and they said naming them is stupid; i think it is a quarter of the fun.. .. I have future names for my fish. So i want to hear your fish names and what kind. This might grow to a big thread.. unless I am missing one allready here.

BN pleco-shadrack
    1x Ropefish-meshack
    1x Ropefish-abindigo
    1x Make koi Angel-Anubus
    1x Female Koi- Adele(dont hate, lol)
    2x snails Romio and Juliet.

i actually only own the BN and snails, the rest is future names when my tank gets done cycling

Thumbs down LMAO - Yeah right :-P Labrat has 160+ fish

0 Not allowed!
    Been done - Lots... A refined search will find more.

No and for three good reasons:

1.Fish already have names, Latin names.
    2. I have far too many to bother even if I were inclined to.
    3. I am not 8 years old.

Last edited by Goes to 11!; 10-24-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    And hard to pronounce ones at that!

0 Not allowed!
    I name some. Im not 8 but naming is fun anyways.
    Roll the Dice!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Haven't put to much thought into it. Currently only have 6 Black Skirt Tetras. I have two young children, maybe I'll have them have the fun and name them.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My wife names all our fish, but it gets complicated. We have around 100 fish. What she'll do is, if we get a group of 8 type of one fish in one tank, she'll name them (for example) snow white and the seven dwarfs.

So we don't know which one is grumpy, dopey, etc, but we know the 8 red platies are snow white and the seven dwarves.

But then, what do you do if eventually one or two die?

Basically, she names them all at time of purchase based on how many there are, then we revisit the list every couple of months and redo the groups. Which means the names are not hard and fast, more fluid.

Keeps her entertained and interested in the fish, which is cool by me, means I can have more fish tanks. Plus, my 4 year old knows the Hillstream Loach is Darth Vader, and the Bristlenose Pleco is Darth Maul.
    Livestreaming my 220 Gallon Aquarium
    5.5 M Betta
    10 Pea Puffers
    20 Harlequins, Neons, Platies, Guppies, Cories, Nerite Snails
    55 Silver Dollars, Pearl Gourami, Hillstream Loach, Mollies, Serpae Tetras, African Dwarf Frog, Leopard Bush Fish, Bleeding Heart Tetras, Chocolate Talking Cat, Banjo Cat
    55 Red, Blue, Boesemani Rainbows, Zebra Dainos, Zebra Loaches, Platies, Moonlight Gourami, Bristlenose Pleco
    35 Red Tailed Shark, Amazon Puffers
    220 Black Skirt, Lemon Tetras and Bala Sharks

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Feels like a super idiot. Mods can delete. "walks away"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We do the exact same thing as Canadian. Must be a thing that comes with having so many fish.

Some of my favorites are:
    Tumi - BGK
    Heffalump - Elephant nose
    Benihana - ABK
    Leviathan - bichir
    Sine, Caduceus, and Möbius the ropefish
    Cid and Nancy the kribs
    Mickey and Mallory the blue convicts
    Our betta: alpha, omega, zetta, sigma, gamma(rip) and... Alice. (don't ask)
    Blu - DG
    The blue man group - all our blue mystery snails
    the fishsticks - all our tetra in the tetra only species tank

We have a new ropefish too, but haven't thought of a name for him yet. Hes a nice emerald green color, but i want to stick to the shape theme. dunno yet. Maybe some name of the green spectrum of light? Still working on it.
    Last edited by Nephalem; 10-24-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,
    I am obviously less than 8 years old. I have 6 fish and all have names.
    Issie - Pearlskin goldfish
    Erica - Lemon goldfish
    Ernest Hemmingway - Ghost Koi
    Eye-Eye - Shubunkin
    Brian - Shubunkin
    Ed - Shubunkin

Not only do I name them I assign gender (even though I really don't know whether they are male or female)
    And don't get me started on how the names were chosen!!

Issiefish

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not to hijack the thread, but i just wanted to say welcome to the forum to issue. Glad you found us here.

I do the same thing when I dont know the sex of my fish. Just kind of guess based on their personality. Its always fun when you end up finding out years later that your buddy "James" is actually a "Jenny".

Does your family have a pond? How do you house the Koi, Shubies, and Goldfish?
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org