· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default New to Forum, stocking question

0 Not allowed!
    Nice to meet you, have been using this forum for info over the past month thus why i figured I would join.

I recently purchased a 55 Gallon long tank, running a aqua-tech 30-60 filter, and a whisper 60 filter. I have purchased used river stone substrate, and let the tank run for about 2 weeks before any fish were added.

I would have waited longer, but it was a semi rescue mission, had to rehome a 14" pleco and 4" red tail. But kept the two ghost catfish, two mollies and 4 lemon tetra.

I am thinking a final stock of the following... do you think it would be ok, and any other suggestions would be appreciated

4 ea Lemon Tetra (already have)
    2 ea Ghost Catfish (already have)
    2 ea Mollies (already have)
    6 ea Tiger Barbs
    6 ea Zebra Danios
    2 ea Otos
    6 ea Dwarf Gourami (2 male, 4 female*if i can find females)
    2 ea Cory Catfish

The Gouramis will be the center piece of the tank b/c of their coloring. After looking up max size of these fish i totaled out at approx 67 inches of fish when all full grown. Will this be ok? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    First of all even though the tank has been running for two weeks whats the Ph, Ammona, Nitrade and Nitride readings? These will go a long way in discussing what and how many fish to add.

0 Not allowed!
    I will check them tonight, I'm sure the ammonia will be a little higher than it should since the fish in the tank were just added last night. I will try to get some results posted later

**Edit: The PH I actually tested prior to the fish and it was sitting at approx 7.2-7.4 range (i added a small amount of buffer to try to get it closer to the 7.0 mark)

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum.

First things first: Throw away any 'inches per :whatever:' rule, 67 inches isn't relevant to anything wrt stocking. . . Moving on.

Next up, Running your tank was doing nothing but wasting power unless you were fishlessly cycling it at the time. Read this and tell us if it is what you were doing.

You should be aware that tiger barbs are particularly nippy/aggressive and not suitable for a community tank, Especially one with fish with long fins such as gourami/

Speaking of gourami, They are territorial and grumpy/aggressive little fish and that many of them will not coexist in a 55g tank.

55 'long' ? What are the dimensions? What gender are your mollys? If mixed the boy will likely harass the female to death and also you will have fry to deal with. Here's how to sex your mollys.

Except for the gourami, All of the fish you intend on stocking [& the lemons and ghosts also] are schooling fish and would be much much more natural acting and less stressed at far higher numbers [8 or ten each at a minimum].
    FYI - Pairs of schooling fish tend to stress & hide out and never be seen.

I would suggest you pick 3 or 4 species to make sizable schools of and forget the rest.

EDIT: If you added your fish to a fully cycled tank you should not have any ammonia showing tonight as your BB colony will be capable of processing the ammonia produced.

Last edited by Goes to 11!; 10-24-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Turns out I was wasting power... damn. I was concerned about the tiger barbs... have seen that in larger groups they could be ok, but it seems to be a 50-50 shot if they are or not.

It appears as though the bigger molly is a female, while the small one is male.

Tank dimensions are 48"L x 13"W x 21" T

The only fish in the tank at the moment I would want to keep for reasons other than preventing them from being flushed are the ghost cats

0 Not allowed!
    You are not the first one my man & you won't be the last either.

I have never kept glass cats but I have my doubts about you being able to cycle with them.

Since you have fish in the tank you now need to read this and see if it's something you want to put your glass cats through. You may want to return them temporarily and cycle fishlessly since it is less stressful on both you and the fish.

With mollys you really need to have 3f for every male because the boys chase the girl relentlessly and can literally harass a girl to death unless there are other girls available to spread out his attention. The numbers either need to be appropriate or get rid of the girl and have boys only - Or no mollys at all.

Your tank is a standard sized 55 btw.

Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    I would suggest you pick 3 or 4 species to make sizable schools of and forget the rest.
    I second this. Fewer large schools are equally impressive as many species in a tank.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Is your Avatar your Tank? Sorry obviously it is. Are those Mollys for sure? They kind of look like Platys from that angle.
    Last edited by steeler58; 10-24-2012 at 09:50 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I stand corrected, plates not mollies. I am going to talk yo my lbs, see if they can hold the glass for me, but they can't go back to the previous owner.

Just tested water, ammonia is extremely low if not zero, text tube was clear (lost the chart a few yrs back) and ph is still high, 7.8

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85
    Just tested water, ammonia is extremely low if not zero, text tube was clear (lost the chart a few yrs back) and ph is still high, 7.8
    Test kit color chart available here.