· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have any prior experiance with aquariums?

0 Not allowed!
    For filtration on my 20 long i use an AC20 and an eheim 2211. I would recommend you get a slightly larger AC if you go this route, mine was free so i didn't have a choice as to what size it was.

EDIT: what kind of plants have you thought about? Also what sort of lighting will you use? Be sure to provide adequate lighting (approx. 1.5-2 watts per gallon for low-mid light plants)
    Last edited by Northerly; 10-24-2012 at 10:33 PM.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have any experience this is my first time.

The AC70 looks good I think I will go with that one. Should I get rid of the activated carbon?

I have not had a chance to look at what types of plants yet. Some in the easy low light category.

So for a 20L with the AC 70 is this setup good:
    2 Bolivian RAM (Microgeophagus altispinosa)
    10 Cardinal Tetras (Paracheirodon axelrodi)
    6 Panda Corydoras
    4 Amano Shrimp (Caridina multidentata)

or is that too much?

Also I don't want to add them all at once. Which should I start with? (after the fishless cycle is complete)

0 Not allowed!
    I personally would recommend an AC50, I use an AC70 on my 55 and 65 gallon tanks as back ups and the flow is pretty substantial, would probably be a bit too much.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectgravity
    I have not had a chance to look at what types of plants yet. Some in the easy low light category.
    Here are some links in red that you might find useful as a starting point wrt plant research.

In a 20L I would also suggest an AC50 although in a standard 20 I have used an AC70 [temp & turned down]
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    The reason I suggested the AC70 was for the biger bio-load, better safe than sorry, as 850R said you can always turn it down. I lot of new people buy just what is recommended by gal, this goes for heaters to.

With the AC70 your choice of stock would work for sure. Put the Cories in last. The reason I asked if you had any prior experiance is; that Cardinals are realy sensative to hard water and high Ph, so if I might suggest you stat with neons? They are almost as colorful Cardinals but a little more hardy (more tank bred ones) or if you have not seen them, Glowlight Tetras that are realy hardy. If your tanks cycled add one spieces at a time every two weeks.

Hope this helps.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1
    The reason I suggested the AC70 was for the biger bio-load, better safe than sorry, as 850R said you can always turn it down. I lot of new people buy just what is recommended by gal, this goes for heaters to.

With the AC70 your choice of stock would work for sure. Put the Cories in last. The reason I asked if you had any prior experiance is; that Cardinals are realy sensative to hard water and high Ph, so if I might suggest you stat with neons? They are almost as colorful Cardinals but a little more hardy (more tank bred ones) or if you have not seen them, Glowlight Tetras that are realy hardy. If your tanks cycled add one spieces at a time every two weeks.

Hope this helps.
    How about Gold Neon Tetras?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Sure they are just a color morph of regular Neons

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Here are some links in red that you might find useful as a starting point wrt plant research.

In a 20L I would also suggest an AC50 although in a standard 20 I have used an AC70 [temp & turned down]
    Cool thanks for the link.

If I go with the low light easy plants all i need is nutritional substrate (eco-complete) and no CO2 injection. Correct? That way it will be balanced?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another question that might seem obvious

There is a lot of info about what to feed each fish, but how much do I feed them?

Since there will be multiple types of fish in the tank will they all eat, or will some steal the food from others?