· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Fixing center piece on 55g tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

My center piece on the top frame of my 55g cracked I don't have the money to get another frame right now and I have a wood canopy so I was going to fix it with a piece of metal across the top and epoxied to the outside of the frame I read about this fix somewhere but cant find instructions. Anyhow, I went to home depot today and the guy there sold me a piece of 1/8 thick aluminum 1 inch wide. I bent the first end in a vice and it bent fairly easily and straight. I'm not really experienced with building materials, the guys at the store said it would be strong enough what do you all think of aluminum? It seems fairly flexible I was expecting something more rigid but like I said, I'm inexperienced with building stuff.

Thanks

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds risky to me, Is it impossible to wait until you have the $30 [$15 for the frame, $15 for the shipping.] it takes to fix it?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with 850R on this. You would be better off waiting for the correct frame instead of trying to finnagle something that may or may not work. It would be a very expensive lesson if it didn't work.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your input. I bent the aluminum and epoxied (spelling?) it to the frame and it closed the gap and kept it closed when I refilled the tank. It will have to work until I get the money to replace the frame which I know is the best fix I'm just so broke right now it'll have to wait and this is better than nothing, I currently have fish in there so I have to do something. Thanks for your input though. Wish me luck, in it holding up and in money!

0 Not allowed!
    I contacted Aqueon (All Glass) once and asked them why they didn't make tank frames more available. They told me that any fish store should be able to order one on request. But I would think the frame and the tank needs to be from the same company for a perfect fit. For instance, Perfecto glass lids do not fit Aqueon tanks so there must be a very slight difference in size.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I called the fish store this morning and they can order it for $35. I can get it online for $30 including shipping. I will when I can afford it. I might as well save $5 and get it delivered to my door than have to drive 1/2 hr to pick it up plus pay $5 more. You'd think you'd get a little more of a break from the fish store.

0 Not allowed!
    Ha.....You get no breaks from the fish store and why I order everything online.