· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Question Will my goldfish eat my minnows?

0 Not allowed!
    I recently added 5 white cloud minnows to my goldfish tank. (it's a big tank but still too small for full grown goldfish, before anyone asks when they get bigger they are going to a friend with a pond and I won't get more. I didn't know they needed a massive tank when I got them) and after hours of searching on the internet everybody seems to have a different opinion about weather or not they will be alright with my goldfish. As far as I can tell it's different from fish to fish, some will eat them all in a day or two, others will live happily...
    Anyway, my question is if the goldfish hasn't eaten any after a few weeks is it likely that he will eat them later? If it's a problem I can move them into my old goldfish tank (the one I got before I knew they needed a waaay bigger one) but if they are ok together I would like to add a few more.

Thanks for reading and any help would be appreciated, I'm super new to this but want to surprise my husband with more minnows (the tank is his thing really) but don't want to stuff it up and have everything eaten!

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    the general rule is "if it fits in a fish's mouth, it may become food". Goldfish are usually not predatory hunters, but if a minnow swims in front of a goldfish's mouth, and the goldfish is big enough, it may give it a try. I mean, they try to eat their own poop if it attracts their attention!

So, if your goldfish are too small to swallow the minnows, and you're planning to get them in a pond before they get too big, they should do okay. If not, your minnows may start disappearing.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    They may also eat the tiny glofish danios. I'll be rehoming my remaining shubunkin because I caught him sucking in and apparently swallowing whole one of my glofish in my 65-gallon. He just started doing this -- he didn't used to bother any of them. The smaller comet is too small to do that, but he's going to the friend's pond, also. In short -- no more goldfish. I want to try a different variety of compatible coldwater fish in my 65, and I think my goldies will be happier in the pond, anyway.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    a stated already goldfish are known to eat pretty much anything if they get the chance but they arent going to chase your minnows around the tank like a predatory fish. I cnt see a problem with adding more minnows if you have the tank space, in my opinion the bigger the shoal of minnows the less chance of them getting eaten as the shoaling instinct would kick in to avoid any chance of danger :)
    75 Litre (20 Gallon) - 5 Harlequins, 6 Cories, 2 Golden Barbs, 1 Glowlight, 2 Red Wag Swords (Male and Female), 4 Otos

113 Litre (30 Gallon) - Empty (Waiting to build a stand before i use it)

60 Litre Hex - Empty