· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Touch up on 75 gal community

0 Not allowed!
    Quick preface: don't have this tank yet but have begun acquiring the hardware.

This will be filtered with an AC 110 and an Eheim 2217. I'm planning on a moderate planted tank with a couple of large pieces of drift wood and a few smooth stones. If it matters, as of now I'm considering the Eco-Complete planted black substrate.

Here's where I'm at and looking for advice/opinions(thanks to everyone in the past for helping me narrow this down!):

Definites:

8+ corys

6-8 Bolivian Rams (2 males to 4-6 females?) thinking I should stick with 1 species of dwarfs.

An upper level schooling fish, or 2:
    I was set on 2 different schooling upper level fish (10-15 of each). I really like Harlequin Rasboros and a few tetras. However, I'm starting to like the idea of less species, so one larger schooling fish (25-30). I know Harleys will work but is there any real drawback with them not being SA like the rest of the tank? Just want the guys and gals to be as happy and comfortable as can be. Should I do tetras instead? Maybe Rummy nose? Not currently interested in neons or cardinals.

Maybes:

1-2 BN pleco.

4-6 Otos.

Would either, or both, of these be a good fit, or would they clash with some of the other species?

Many thanks for the help!

ETA: I'll do a fishless cycle as documented here and then begin adding. I know I should start with the harley/tetra. After that, which way would you go? Corys or Bolivians? Pleco or Otos?
    Last edited by WarEagle; 10-23-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    Always remember, Goliath was a 40 point favorite against David. ~ Shug Jordan

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Whats with all the Rams? I would cut down the rams and do maybe 3-4 to try and get a mate for the male. 20-25 Cory Cats (I had 15-17 in my 55g thought that would be too much but it wasnt 20-25 in a 75 would give the bottom alot of nice activity.) Keep the 2 BN Plecs Which ever Schooling fish you like best and do a large school instead of multiple schools and a Angle Fish.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Harlequins do fine with SA tanks due to similer water conditions. Every time I set up a SA themed tank I end up with harlequins because they are so compatible with all my tetras.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I would like more than just a pair of bolivians and thought that was my best bet. Would you recommend grabbing 4 and letting it be?

Wow, didn't know I could swing that many corys, good to know.

Thanks for the advice on the Harleys.

Not really interested in an angel.

Thanks again for the feedback!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You surely can do that many rams if you wanted. I just suggested half because they occupy the same level of the aquarium as cories and you may com across multilbe breeding pairs and i dont know how they would be with the corries while breeding. maybe someone would chime in on that.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Usually the Rams are peaceful but they are still a Cichlid and when their spawn are endangered they become very aggresive and will take on any fish regardless of size.

This and the fact that Cichlids and catfish are natural enemies the outcome will not be good.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    On another note what the heck happened to Auburn this year? Hard to believe Chizik was a "one trick pony".

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Big BlaK has some good advice - Your tank is large enough for a real showpiece fish (since angels are out, consider a peaceful fish - maybe two or three Silver dollars? (the other schools should then be smaller) and with wood and some plants could easily handle a few large Honey Gouramis, instead. Consider at least fifteen Cories for sure. Any schooling fish (but get at least fifteen) but Cardinals are spectacular for color. Maybe, instead of a large show piece fish, a second school - marble Hatchetfish?

Remember water changes - nitrates must be at least 3 ppm for plants but can quickly rise and cause algae like no tomorrow; phosphates are a killer, too with feeding fish. Also, maybe consider an inside, air driven algae scrubber (easy to make or cheap to buy BUT these things can be far too effective - you will need to dose some solid phosphate and nitrate in the sand for good growth.)
    Last edited by Cermet; 10-23-2012 at 08:07 AM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the replies!! Keep 'em coming! I'll look a little more into these other suggestions.

I guess I was thinking the Rams and cories were good tank mates, must have had that mistaken. Thanks again.

Steelers1, I have no idea. It's been a complete train wreck this year. By far the worst AU team in my lifetime. Just a complete disaster. We're 1 overtime win against Louisiana-Monroe from being winless. Hard to believe a team could win a NC and in less than 2 years be one of the worst teams in football. Don't really know what to say or expect. Sucks.
    Last edited by WarEagle; 10-23-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    If you could find just males or female Rams, (there is a sticky under dwarf cichlids that tells you how to sex them) than thiers no reason not to keep cories with them. No fry to protect no problems.

Glad to find other sports-fans on the forum.