· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Blue Salvini?

1. Default Blue Salvini?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone. I bought a salvini at my LFS and it looks different than every salvini I have seen in stores. Is my salvini rare or what? Is this possibly a cross breed?... or something else all together? It was in a mixed tank with jack dempseys, oscars, and texas cichlids but it doesnt look like anything of those.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...1022220904.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...1022220947.jpg

any thoughts?

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    looks like a hybrid to me. part JD and part something else?
    Thar she blows!!!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i dont think JD.. i the shape definitely looks salvini to me.. i have now seen him get a little more yellow at times when he is flaring up at my oscar but the majority of the time he looks darker.. here is a better picture.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I read your post before and skimmed over it thinking it was one of those crazy people thinking they had made a new breed and all that but then I went to my LFS and saw a fish looking very similar to the one you have now my first thought since I have a Salvini and it looks nothing like both was maybe its a Hybrid but I bought my Salvini from the same store as this one was in and I have to say when I got mine it was Brown and the Blue is a normal color of the Salvini at times mine still has it but it looks like yours is just a little more brown than mine was when first purchased how big is it? I have had mine for about 6 months and got him when he was 1in now he is 4-5in and he is bright yellow now and very food aggressive lol

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yea, i have done some google searches on it and found maybe one or 2 other people with a very dark salvini that resembled mine. he is about 3.5-4 inches. he is vicious too. I have noticed that when he flares up and gets mad, his colors lighten up and yellow starts to bleed through some.

what other fish do you have yours with? he was originally in with a albino tiger oscar about twice his size but grew to fast and decided he wanted to be the boss of the tank and started attacking the oscar little bit by little bit. it got a little relentless though after he realized the oscar was backing down from him so i put my oscar in another tank until he outgrows the salvini. then i will try again :/

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hey D21, where in va are you? i am in northern va. my lfs are centreville aquarium (close to my house) and pristine aquarium in alexandria (this place is awesome)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have my Salvini with a Blood Parrot, 2 Small Cons a Firemouth, a Red Tailed Shark, a Featherfin Catfish, and a Pleco, my Salvini I got when it was 1in and I had a Male Black Convict in the tank when I got him and the Male Con was 3in and aggressive but the Salvini got bigger than it but never more aggressive but my Male Con is in a 30 Gal now breeding with a Female, I live in Winchester so like an hr from you, I was up there just two weeks ago but my friends couldn't find me a LFS, I always see what other places have stocked and see the difference in Shipments