· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Water changes/what to do with fish

0 Not allowed!
    I just got my 25 gallon tank set up and going. I don't know what fish i want yet, but i had a question. What do you with your fish when you do water changes. I was thinking about doing a chilid tank.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    You can leave the fish in the tank when doing the water changes.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum!

glad you are interested in a tank. I would suggest reading up on the fish LESS cycle-it'll be faster for you to add fish and get started.

But back to your question.

My fish stay in the tank.
    I have a 45gallon. so I take out about half the water, then add new dechlorinated water back at the same temperature. Takes about 30minutes b/c I have to go down a set of stairs when refilling with the buckets. (I'm young, so it is a good workout )

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First, go check out the cycling stickies, in the cycling subsection. Pardon me if your tank is already cycled.

Next, you leave the fish in the tank when you do water changes. If the tank is cycled, you should never have to do a wc greater than 75% all at once. That doesn't apply if the tank isn't cycled or you are cycling with fish. Actually, moving them is not a good idea at all if you can help it.

My fish are very used to my twice weekly water changes, and actually swim over to the siphon to investigate. They aren't scared or too terribly stressed. No cichlids, but I'd imagine they'd adjust too.

0 Not allowed!
    hello.......

You can't have cichlids in a 25 gallon unless you get a couple "dwarfs".

Read my cycling threads below and don't buy fish for the tank until you get some advise first or you'll have a problem.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your help. I ment dwarf cichlids by the way. So just basically ad de-chlorinator, watch your ammonia, and nitrates, then when your nitrates hit zero do a water change. Then your ready to add fish?

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrites

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecostello
    Thanks for your help. I ment dwarf cichlids by the way. So just basically ad de-chlorinator, watch your ammonia, and nitrates, then when your nitrates hit zero do a water change. Then your ready to add fish?
    There is a TAD bit more involvement to cycling than what you just said.

Fish LESS is the way to go-and you'll need pure ammonia for that.
    You'll need a API Master Test Kit (w/ the liquid and glass tubes)
    the sticky goes into depth on that involvement.
    See LadyHobbs' signature w/ the links.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecostello
    So just basically ad de-chlorinator, watch your ammonia, and nitrates, then when your nitrates hit zero do a water change. Then your ready to add fish?
    Some problems here - first off, are you cycled (i.e. ran ammonia until the bacteria in the filter was able to convert it and another waste product, nitrite into fairly harmless nitrate)?

Then do water changes weekly to keep nitrates under 20 ppm (under 10 ppm is better.) Only after draining the required water out of the tank, add required dose of dechlorinator, and then directly add the tap water (same temperature!)

Nitrates NEVER hit zero unless you have special filters; dechlorinators will not necessarily make ammonia safe (some may but that is not their primary function.) ONLY a cycled filter (bacteria grown in the filter media) will remove ammonia. Dechlorinator is used to remove chlorates and some types of fixed ammonia chemicals in tap water.
    Last edited by Cermet; 10-22-2012 at 09:59 PM.