· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Feeding the Rubber Lip

0 Not allowed!
    I have had a rubber lip pleco for a few days now, and i have never seen him eat anything.

I have put zucchini, hikari algae wafers, romaine lettuce, and omega one veggie tabs in the water and I cant seem to find evidence that he has found or eaten any of them.

I dont have very much algae in the tank and I am worried about its diet. how can I tell if it is eating? How can I encourage it to find and recognize the food?

Do rubber lips eat the same diet as BNPs and other plecos?
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

Awards Showcase

Great addition to AC - Lady Hobbs Perhaps a beer instead? - Lady Hobbs NICE TANK! - Lady Hobbs U know your awesome!!!!!! - jbeining75 Very nice rift tank! Very funny jokes! - NickFish 
    Refund lmao!!!!! - jbeining75 thanks for the support - jbeining75 Good luck with the JI!!!!!! - jbeining75 Right back at ya! - Hailey For help with my leopard geckos - jbeining75 
    to me - sailor Your second sets of stripes lol.... - jbeining75 to blow your nose lol..... - jbeining75 I won the lottery,thanks for the help couldn't have done it without you - kitten3326 Because I would buy you a beer if I could. - RainMan 
    For beating back the flu!!!!!!!!! - jbeining75 thanks for cheering me up xoxo - shalafi04 A Cricket and Strawberry slurpee just for you :) - shalafi04 gotta buy a beer for a sailor. LOL - ILuvMyGoldBarb knowledge + friendly = sailor! yar! - turkey151 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    Any rubber lip I have ever had have been mostly nocturnal. I would drop in algae disks a couple times a week an hour or so after lights out.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

0 Not allowed!
    He will probably die. He should not have gone in that tank until it was done cycling. Bottom feeders are the last to go in a tank and only after it's been cycled. I would imagine he isn't eating because the ammonia level is too much for him.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Hobbs obviously knows your tank isn't finished cycling, so if it is not cycled then I agree with her.

However, I have known plecos to take a while to recognise food and fresh veg. A common pleco I used to have and an L022 both took 2 weeks each to even attempt eating my courgette on a fork. Plecos require dedication and time from their owners
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Coming from someone who "rescued" a Rubberlip from a vary unhealthy shop tank, if you keep up on WC's your pleco will be fine. Mine was in my 20g for about 3 months, and that tank never did cycle even with seeded media. He got to see some really high levels of ammonia but is just fine. That and he hit my 20g with Ich, and I totally spaced he was a "scaleless" fish and came close to killing him with meds (he thankfully recovered). Even the tank he is in is just doing a mini cycle, but I have made it a daily chore to do WC's in all my tanks (cycled or not).

Anyway about feeding. I had him and another RL in my QT tank for a week before they ate anything. One ended up dieing in QT, they both had bad ammonia burns when I got them. After that tho the other little guy would not leave the zucchini alone and would hollow a good sized peace out overnight. He was only about 2" and the food was bigger than him. So it will take time for him to eat, and when he dose he will gorge himself. My little guy doesn't eat like that anymore, so I figure he was just really really hungry by then.

0 Not allowed!
    You can always find execptions out there. I know, I have personally run across a few of them.

I would suggest re-homing your pleco untill the tank is cycled. That would be in the best interests of the fish, IMO
    Last edited by Cliff; 10-21-2012 at 02:52 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    I would sugges re-homing you pleco untill the tank is cycled. That would be in the best interests of the fish, IMO
    +

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well if we are dodging the original eating question and focusing on the fish in his tank that need re-homed. Rubberlip and cory need re-homed cuz the tank is not cycled, and the neons need re-homed.... or the Tiger Barbs and Rainbow Shark for aggressive reasons. Good luck, but I hope you do get your pleco to eat.

0 Not allowed!
    Posts 2 and 4 did cover some good ideas on feeding plecos

I beleave the other posts were trying to add some additional assistance to help the OP avoid some potential problems down the road
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Lightbulb Keeping up is fun :-D

0 Not allowed!
    And also...

This has been covered in another thread, His tap water reads 2ppm ammonia, It's an uncycled tank and he was informed that getting more fish was a bad idea.

We are not dodging the OP - We are reinforcing previous info already given.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.