· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Aid Kit

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffs99dime
    also for power outs i recommend a battery operated pump with extra airline, an extra check valve and airstone, wand, etc. Batteries.
    Hope it is OK for me to but in, I love that one.
    Do you know of any system that could run not only a air pump but the heater as well?
    When power outage occurs in my case it seems to be associated with cold, mostly during winter and storms.

0 Not allowed!
    Not that I know of. Short of running a gas powered generator for your house there is no real option for heating. Moving things like camping stoves and the such are never a good idea because you then have a good change of carbon monoxide poisoining or worse like setting your house on fire! Even if you were to use a car battery or deep cycle battery, you wouldn't get much time out of the heater at all because it takes a high amount of wattage and amps. When my power failed one time during the winter several years ago, I wrapped my tank in a few blankets and had the battery operated pump going continuously, all the while, checking the tank's temp repeatedly. It sucks when the power goes out out though. Unfortunately, it is happening more and more often.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    that is what I was afraid of...
    Acquiring a generator for the house is already on our list :-)
    thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    The most important part of a fishy first aid kit is the container that you put your sick or injured fish, and all those treatments and gadgets into! A quarantine tank!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 5 gallon QT tank with all the basics ready to go!!

0 Not allowed!
    1. A little QT tank in a cupboard with a built in filter (which can be seeded quickly with media from other tanks if needed)
    2. Salt

I don't tend to keep meds as I'm never far from my LFS (which is open long hours every day of the week).

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphe
    Hope it is OK for me to but in, I love that one.
    Do you know of any system that could run not only a air pump but the heater as well?
    When power outage occurs in my case it seems to be associated with cold, mostly during winter and storms.
    You can get a Big UPS and sit it by the tank and plug your stuff in. Depends on how long the power stays out though.... I have one that will run a pump for 24 hours..

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1

I was just going to suggest that stx. What size is yours if you don't mind me asking? I'm a network tech so I have used UPS for years at work, and have been thinking about getting one for my aquaria in case of outage this winter. But a quality one can be so spendy. Have you tried to run a test on yours to see how long it will run the heater yet?
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

Exclamation I was waiting for somebody to say the QT tank :-D

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by escamosa
    The most important part of a fishy first aid kit is the container that you put your sick or injured fish, and all those treatments and gadgets into! A quarantine tank!
    +1

Absolutely, It all starts there.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by stx2006
    You can get a Big UPS and sit it by the tank and plug your stuff in. Depends on how long the power stays out though.... I have one that will run a pump for 24 hours..
    Sorry but what is a UPS?
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492