· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question Algae Eating Tank Mate for a betta

0 Not allowed!
    I recently changed my fry tank to hold a betta due to the kids coercion. The tank is looking kinda dirty from all the algae and I would rather try and find a fish that will help instead of relying on a chemical solution.

I wasn't sure what would work well with the betta and was thinking that maybe a pleco or perhaps some shrimp might work alright. The shrimp seemed less likely, but I wanted some opinions. The betta is new, obviously, but seems to be on the more aggressive side.

Thoughts???
    MacAnthony

55gal
    dalmatian mollies
    red and blue fin tetras
    congo tetras
    plecos

30gal Hex
    zebra danios
    glass catfish
    swordtails

5gal
    betta

Pics

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Mothers Day! - Drumachine09   Here's a little something for standing up and doing what you think is right! - RobbieG   Congrats On Your New Addition! :) - MeganL3985   for stuff! - Nick_Pavlovski   TOTM 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SkarloeysMom   

0 Not allowed!
    First let me say WOW! You've got some awesome pictures of your fish. You must have one really nice set up to get a shot of a zebra danio in perfect focus!

Some folks here have otos cats with bettas. If you think yours is on the aggressive side you could try a few otos and maybe move the otos to your bigger tank if the betta starts picking on them. Not sure how many you'd need for a 5g. Corys do well with bettas sometimes but I don't know how well they would clean your algae though. I think ghost shrimp are compatible with bettas too.
    My tank:
    20g long - 8 Trigonostigma heteromorpha, 2 Corydoras brevirostris, 2 Corydoras agassizii, 1 Corydoras trilineatus named Julian

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for good info! - Lady Hobbs   beer, anyone? - Lady Hobbs   great link on the diy oxengenator!!!  this one's on me - jeffs99dime   Keep on rhymin' - Rue   A fosters for you - crackatinny   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - CAF   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - CAF   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - CAF   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - CAF   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - CAF   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAnthony
    recently changed my fry tank to hold a betta due to the kids coercion. The tank is looking kinda dirty from all the algae and I would rather try and find a fish that will help instead of relying on a chemical solution.

I wasn't sure what would work well with the betta and was thinking that maybe a pleco or perhaps some shrimp might work alright. The shrimp seemed less likely, but I wanted some opinions. The betta is new, obviously, but seems to be on the more aggressive side.

Thoughts???.
    Depending on how agressive your particular fish is you may not want to provide ANY tankmates. I have seen bettas kill every other thing in the tank. Conversely, I have seen them be the most peaceful fish in the world. In regards to shrimp, they are food. I have never seen any betta who did not try to eat one, no matter the size.

Quote Originally Posted by SkarloeysMom
    First let me say WOW! You've got some awesome pictures of your fish. You must have one really nice set up to get a shot of a zebra danio in perfect focus!

Some folks here have otos cats with bettas. If you think yours is on the aggressive side you could try a few otos and maybe move the otos to your bigger tank if the betta starts picking on them. Not sure how many you'd need for a 5g. Corys do well with bettas sometimes but I don't know how well they would clean your algae though. I think ghost shrimp are compatible with bettas too.
    All shrimp are food to bettas.... They will eventually peck them to death. Most fish find inverts to be delicacies.
    Vice President
    Colorado Aquarium Society
    http://www.coloradoaquarium.org/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Don't give up! - Rue   good poster - Lady Hobbs   something to chew on :) - Dave66   *kicks* - Drumachine09   Have a slice on me, thanks for the other forums! - Bill M.   

0 Not allowed!
    You are limited with a 5 gallon to a otoclinus which is about it. One will do the trick.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for being a champion =D - Full3R   you need a tang! - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    Those are awesome photos, I definitely concur with SkarloeysMom!
    Currently: Spotted Blue-eyes, two species of Australian shrimp, Ornate Rainbowfish, Guppies, Corydoras, goldfish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the input. It would really be hard to tell how aggressive it would be with other fish since we didn't have it with other fish, but I had the swordtail in the tank when I had him in the bag in the water and it definitely became agitated. I will try it out and find something to help with hiding in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by SkarloeysMom
    Thanks. I bought a new digital camera, a Olympus E-500 last year with my end of the year bonus and I've really enjoyed trying out macro photography with the fish and the aquarium. I still need to get some photos of the new additions though. Thanks for reminding me!!! :)
    MacAnthony

55gal
    dalmatian mollies
    red and blue fin tetras
    congo tetras
    plecos

30gal Hex
    zebra danios
    glass catfish
    swordtails

5gal
    betta

Pics

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for good info! - Lady Hobbs   beer, anyone? - Lady Hobbs   great link on the diy oxengenator!!!  this one's on me - jeffs99dime   Keep on rhymin' - Rue   A fosters for you - crackatinny   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - CAF   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - CAF   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - CAF   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - CAF   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - CAF   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the input. It would really be hard to tell how aggressive it would be with other fish since we didn't have it with other fish, but I had the swordtail in the tank when I had him in the bag in the water and it definitely became agitated. I will try it out and find something to help with hiding in the tank.

Thanks. I bought a new digital camera, a Olympus E-500 last year with my end of the year bonus and I've really enjoyed trying out macro photography with the fish and the aquarium. I still need to get some photos of the new additions though. Thanks for reminding me!!! :)
    Having taken photos of danios before, first of all congratulations!!! Second, how many pictures did you toss out as unsuable? I know the ratio for me is close to 1 good pic and 20 bad ones... LOL
    Vice President

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CAF
    Having taken photos of danios before, first of all congratulations!!! Second, how many pictures did you toss out as unsuable? I know the ratio for me is close to 1 good pic and 20 bad ones... LOL
    I think my ratio was around 1:5 but most of mine weren't focus or blurry issues. Mostly issues of lighting (flash reflections and such) or just a matter of the fish moving out of the shot.
    MacAnthony

55gal
    dalmatian mollies
    red and blue fin tetras
    congo tetras
    plecos

30gal Hex
    zebra danios
    glass catfish
    swordtails

5gal
    betta

Pics

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas my friend! - Taurus   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jeffs99dime   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jeffs99dime   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think my ratio was around 1:5 but most of mine weren't focus or blurry issues. Mostly issues of lighting (flash reflections and such) or just a matter of the fish moving out of the shot.
    Must have a fster shutter speed. I am using a Samsung NV3, overall I can't complain as it is on the low end cost wise... Definately one of the better ones for its price tho...
    Vice President