· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Tips needed for a successful tank layout

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I am well into the 55g aquarium redux planning. I aquired some large lava rocks and various pieces of mopani and driftwood. The current substrate is a neutral smooth pebbles.

Are there any guides out there that explain how to do an attractive layout for a tank?

Since the tank is currently occupied it makes it difficult to make any 'dry runs' on the design. Right now everything is just kind of all over the place see here:

The new look will have live plants tied to wood and or rocks and here is what I have: For reference the slate is appx 6"x8"x1" the large mopani is appx 20" long 6" wide at the widest point.I also have another black lava rock 1/3 the size of those two .

thinking the lava rocks can be piled to form a tunnel of sorts. This is the part of the hobby I struggle with lol. The tank is a 55g Long roughly 12"x48"x18".
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Tank layout is all doing to personal preferance, and imagination.

One bit of advice I can give is this - imagine you are the fish, its more fun being able to swim under/through/between decor than simply swim round objects.

Have a look here http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=99213

That's my 42G, the bare look is just an abundance of nooks/crannies/ledges/tunnels/caves/overhangs and the fish love it
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    To see what the locals have been up to, Take a lap or three through the last couple years of TOTM winners for some ideas of what works and what doesn't IYO.

Links to 2010 -12 are on this page.

If nothing else it will help you define directions that you are not interested in going.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah it is helpful to see what others have done! I like the october 2001 from cliff -

Attaching the plants to the wood is one of the things I am planning on doing. I see in the lower left the tunnels.. is that just some black pvc fittings with stones siliconed to it?

Scottishfish I really like the second image of yours. Your substrate is almost the same as mine
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    What a difference! Looks awesome.

0 Not allowed!
    I did make the caves out of ABS fittings I got at Home Depot and river rocks I bought at Walmat. The below links shows some pics on how I built a similar one for a different tank

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=60736

Below are a few pics of how I made the one in the pic

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's a neat idea Cliff, was that 2" pipe you used?
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I did not use any pipe, only ABS fittings.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will definitely do one of those!

Ok so here is a really rough white board layout using the newly acquired pieces. What do you think of this?

1. existing river gravel mounded
    2. Large lava rocks forming some tunnels
    3. 2 mopani pieces
    4. driftwood
    5. large slate piece w/ javamoss??
    6. floating plants

I thought floating plants would look good since the height of the hard pieces maxes out at about 12" . Might need to find a couple more lava rocks to add some additional height.

The plants will be low light Anubia, java fern, etc...
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here are the items laid out on the floor to give a better idea of the layout -

Here is a top down view:

Here is a frontal view:
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal