· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Undergravel jet system

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, I'm in the process of redoing my 6ft malawi tank and want to fit an undergravel jets to keep the substrate clean and cut down maintenance.

What I can't decide is how strong should the powerhead be and what diameter of pipes should I use. I think about 5 jets will cover everything.

I was thinking about maybe hooking the outflow of my jbl cristalprofi1500 up to the system. Downside to this is that there will be very little surface movement.

So a powerhead just for the jets is the way to go I guess. How much flow will I need and what size pvc tubing?

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    You "could" use an UGF with reverse flow pumps to push the gunk up (rather than pulling it down) so the other filter could pick it up.

The only thing I would recommend an UGF filter for actually. They just seem like a good filter for tanks full of rocks.

Would you check your PM at the top right please? Thanks

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about what I will be making. This isn't a filter but something to have waterflow all over the tank bottom. Water shoots out of the jets and keeps debris from settling. picture

I have sand in tank btw so an UGF reverse or normal won't be of much help.

0 Not allowed!
    Heads up, Your picture link is not working [For me at least].
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Works fine for me. Let me try something else then.

Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Heads up, Your picture link is not working [For me at least].

0 Not allowed!
    Nope

It is a site where you need to sign in because 'private' is showing in the address bar as part of the address?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Not me either but I see the link says "private".

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    The jet system looks really nice (the picture opens fine for me.) With rocks that will really stir the water well. Not clear why you need the UGF; if these will be under the UGF with gravel over top, should be ok; sand might be an issue if you have a large flow.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No I won't be using an UGF. Not sure where that came from.

I don't think sand will be much of a problem. The jets will be in an upward angle so they stick out just above the sand. I've also done a lot of reading about this and never came across anything negative from people with sand in their tank.

So yeah I'm pretty sure it works fine regardless of substrate choice. I'm just having difficulty with choosing pipe diameter and gph for the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    The jet system looks really nice (the picture opens fine for me.) With rocks that will really stir the water well. Not clear why you need the UGF; if these will be under the UGF with gravel over top, should be ok; sand might be an issue if you have a large flow.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    I used 3/4" and 1/2" CPVC and it worked great. Had a 3/4" spine with 1/2" lines. I suggest making the jets if you can by heating and crimping the ends. Makes a huge difference with flow. I can tell you, no matter what, you are going to have less flow than you think. I ran a 600gph pump on a 125G and it was much less than I wanted. Had to add 2 powerheads to get it acceptable for what I was looking for. If I did it again I would have done 2 pumps with 2 different lines.

*edit- Just got the picture to open. Looks good only I would still look into splitting it into two. Give it a shot without sand and see (test it with cheap flake food). Then if you are not satisfied switch it up and try different things.

Also I never had a problem with the sand. I do suggest adhering the sand to the cpvc though.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?