· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Canister Filter Questions (size)

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 29 gallon tank i have set up. I got it planted and have around 15 small fish, a frog, and a shrimp, and a few snails. I have been having algae bloom issues and i want to upgrade my filters from a cheap-o aqueon to a nice canister set up to see if that clears things up. I know i need to balance the water out but i am a newbie and i dont want to kill anything in the tank. I figured a good filter would help out al ot . Most of the filters (looking at the marineland magnum 350) say 55 gallons. Is this overkill for my 29 gallon or is there a way to throttle down the filter?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i HAVE A MAGNUM 350 CANISTER FILTER and it does come with knobs to turn water flow down second off there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to filtration its always beter to have to much then not enough.Second off is your tank next to a window where the light shines on it that will also build up algie on the glass.Do you have a plec or anything that removes algie if not a b/n pleco is the best thing for that tank or 3-4 ochos would work to pics would help hope this helps a little
    Last edited by fishguy420; 10-21-2012 at 05:47 AM.
    fishguy420

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Many people encourage you to actually get a filter that is rated for twice the actual size of your tank. The way filters are flow tested is at ideal for flow conditions, such as some test empty, or with very little bio media and assuming perfectly clean filters. But most people run their filtes under reality conditions, not ideal conditions.... they are going to have filter media. Sometimes their media won't be 100% clean, etc.

So if you have a 29, a 55 rated filter would be pretty good actually.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fish guy what do you think of the magnum 350? I do not have a pleco. I do have a siamensis and a hill---(stream/stand) catfish, of course i can remember the name now that i need to type it up. I dont really want a pleco just because i dont want i giant fish in my tank. My tank is in my living room where it does get some afternoon sunlight. This wasnt a issue this summer but with fall going into winter the sun is getting lower in the sky. Thank god living in Alaska the light will soon switch to darkness. Ill try to get some pics up soon. Right now i am blacking out my tank for 3-4 days to kill off the blooms. I do think a canister filter is in order. I just dont want to pump to much water around my tank and keep everything disturbed or have to much of a current if that makes sense. Or is that a issue?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    trilliane thanks for that info... Wish the LFS guy told me that. I guess i went cheap with my filters after spending over $300 on substrate, plants and decor alone. My wife is not so keen on more gear... but i guess ill just have to convince her. I got about $700-$800 invested so far and yay on spending more.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did the same things with my filter when I got my 29 gallon tank. I got a 30 gallon filter that came with the tank but my water clarity was not good even with weekly water changes. The forum advised me on getting a filter that is rated double for your tank size. I purchased a AquaClear 70 gallon plus a old 30 gallon that I had when I first set up the tank. The bigger filter has made a HUGE difference in water clarity and the fish seem more active than before.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well the blackout is over... My tank is much clearer... I will post daylight pics when I get them
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Daylight photo!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ps on this: you could get one of the dwarf plecos and be really happy with it in your 29 gal. I have an albino bristle nose pleco - he shouldn't get much more than 3 - 4 inches tops and they are pretty slow growing. This little guy is the star of my tank and does a GREAT job with algae control.

If you don't want a pleco, however, get a few otto cats. They're tiny and will clean things up nicely for you.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a fluval 206 canister on my 29 gal and it worked beautifully
    55g planted. black skirt tetras. Neon tetras. Emerald Cory cat. Glow light tetras. 1kribensis cichlid, b. Rainbow fish. Rhino pleco. Pearl gourami. Dwarf platys

29g planted. 1firemouth cichlid. Gold barbs. Scissortail rasboras.