· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, if you rinse it enough it will not cloud up very much at all. Of course the first day or so will be slightly dusty, but after that--no issues with it at all. I dug a hole yesterday and planted that red flame plant and took those pictures right after. Still crystal clear.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    Well, I can attest to using Quikrete All-Purpose Sand from Lowes. =]

It is very dirty. I took me about an hour or so to wash out all of the sand and add it to the tank. I filled 1/4 to 1/2 a bucket and used a hose to clean it out. You'll know it's dirty, when you see a lot of brown bubbles and gross stuff float to the top of the bucket. lol

I placed a plate on top of the sand and filled it with water. Even after having washed it until it looked clean in the bucket, it was still dirty enough to cloud the water in my 75gal quite a bit. That being said, it did not take long for my Cascade 1000 filter to clean the tank out and in a day or so the water was nearly crystal clear.
    I don't mind cleaning it for a bit, hell the weather is forecasted to be beautiful
    during the next few days xD Do you happen to have a picture of your tank(s) just so I can see the sand? I am looking for as natural look as possible... hmm...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have never used it in an aquarium, but I do have a lot of experience with the all purpose sand from Home Depot and Lowes. The grains of sand are much MUCH more coarse that play sand. I would think that the powdery nature of play sand would cause issues with the filter and compact very easily. Most of the larger grains of sand (pebbles) do look smooth.

But as others said, its very dirty. However, I do think it would look more natural, at least for a fresh water tank.

Side note...I have notices with more natural colored and sized substrates, that food particles tend to dissapear. Good for aesthetics, but not so good for trying to see if all your food got eaten.
    Last edited by ddavis1979; 10-20-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame
    Any pool supply depot should have pool filter sand. It is much easier to wash than the other options, does not compact as readily and is also easier to vacuum.
    +1 Says it all.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seppen
    I don't mind cleaning it for a bit, hell the weather is forecasted to be beautiful
    during the next few days xD Do you happen to have a picture of your tank(s) just so I can see the sand? I am looking for as natural look as possible... hmm...
    The first page of my journal has several close-up pictures of the tank/sand. Take a look here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=97293
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you rinse your play sand as I suggested, you won't have to worry about damaging your filter unless you get a handful and stick it to your intake. As far as compacting goes, I have a stick of 1/2" PVC that I use to slightly stir the sand when I do water changes. It takes about 30 seconds to do. I may not even have to do it. I just don't want stinky gases building up haha.

I'm sure you'll be happy with any sand you get. They all have the ability to look good.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you can also use black diamond sandblasting media from northern tool and other places to achieve the black look but for much cheaper.

Thumbs up Much much cheaper lol

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, I have that in my 100 & 55 but I can tell you that it is not straight black, Requires rinsing/WC & has brown flecks in it..

Having said that, I have had no issues with it & I know Aeon uses it as well.

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.