· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Bully Gourami

1. Default Bully Gourami

0 Not allowed!
    I thought Gouramis were supposed to be peaceful. I have a large tank with 1 Betta, 4 Julii Catfish, & I added 1 Dwarf Gourami. The Betta was always a peacefull guy with the catfish. I added the gourami and after 2 weeks the Gourami started chasing & nipping both the Betta and the catfish. Now the Betta who always roamed the tank now hides behind the filters. What do you do with a bully fish?

0 Not allowed!
    I am hoping this isn't the 5g tank you were cycling a while back... It's not big enough and multiple labyrinth fish only work in far far larger tanks than that.

What size is it.

I Rehome bullys.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to 850R. Plus, you never should put 2 labyrinth fish (gourami, betta) together in one tank.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    no it's a 29 gallon

0 Not allowed!
    gouramis can be peaceful community fish - in the right community.
    they should not be put with fish that are similar to them or closely related
    and some types of gourami are more peaceful than others. the betta and the gourami both belong to the anabantids hence the issues. sometimes their aggression will also spread to other, non-related fish like your catfish. since you have a betta which is confirmed peaceful, and this gourami seems particularly aggressive in not getting along with your catfish, I would find the gourami an appropriate home.

0 Not allowed!
    Two labrinth fish in a tank that size is a formula for disaster. You'll need to rehome one. If not, one will kill the other anyway.
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK
    Two labrinth fish in a tank that size is a formula for disaster. You'll need to rehome one. If not, one will kill the other anyway.
    +1

It's not quite half the tank [Heavily planted] you would need to make that work IMO. They can be exceptionally territorial and in a tank that size there is nowhere to go to get out of each others way... Conflict ensues.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Agree on that!

I had a DG in my 45 and it wasn't near big enough to keep his aggression down with it being heavily planted (albeit the plants aren't fully grown out) but still. the entire tank was his area. He didn't care about my tetra's but he sure hated my Ram.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I wound up taking out that gourami, putting him in his own tank, I replaced him in the main tank with another gourami, and the new one gets along with everyone, no problems with him. The first one was just plain mean and would try to bite everyone.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what if the new guy starts bullying again? give him his own tank and get a new one again? i don't think you actually understood the advise written above.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.