· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Mbuna with Venustus?

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have a 150 gal (6' x 18" x 28" ) with rock work along the back and sides of the tank stacked about half way up with an open area across the middle. The tank is stocked with about 25 Juvenile to Sub Adult Mbunas and 15 or so fry.

A friend of mine wants to re home a pair of Venustus cichlids to my tank. They are sub adult at around 6" or 7". I know this will put some of my current fry at risk and I am unsure how it will affect the larger Mbunas. My friend wants to see the Venustus reach their full size but his tank won't allow that because of size constraints.

Should I take on this pair or pass???

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it were my tank, I wouldn't do it. Their feeding in the wild includes small cichlids. So if natural instinct takes over, which is basically ambushing their prey, you may be risking the safety of yours. The fry won't stand much of a chance as well.
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    are they male and female? i have a 5' female in my 55gal with my other cichlids and she is very shy,

0 Not allowed!
    If the mbuna's include very aggressive or hyperdominant types there can also be a problem with that. I recall years ago seeing a large tank housing all sorts of africans (mostly mbuna's but a frontosa and a male venustus as well).

The venustus was a 10" male and it was constantly getting dominated by a 5" male kenyi which was focusing all of its efforts in keeping the venustus corralled in a large pvc pipe (anytime the large venustus ventured out of the pvc it would get pummelled by this kenyi.

(Interestingly, the 12" frontosa (which are even less aggressive than venustus) was able to protect itself from this same kenyi by driving it away anytime that mbuna got near it).

On the other hand there is a vet near me with a large aquarium that is stocked mostly with male mbuna's (all are in the 6"-7" size range and are comprised of auratus, bumblebee's, various zebras and kenyi) and a pair of similarly sized venustus. I didn't observe any aggression issues during the very brief time I've been there.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24