Results 1 to 10 of 16
Thread: Bacterial or parasite infection?
10-17-2012, 01:55 PM #1
Bacterial or parasite infection?
Hi again. Daisy, the new betta, has herself a 5 gal tank all to herself. I think the setup is pretty good.
Anyway, when we got her I noticed her belly looked a bit swollen...didn't notice until I got her home, of course (that's the way it always goes). It seems to be getting worse. She is still swimming about, looking lively, but the belly is growing. I have been fasting her for a day with no improvement.
She has been having this stringy white poop, which leads me to think parasite infection, but the bloat itself make me think bacteria. I added some maracyn 2 to the tank this am, but then realized that maybe I need some help figuring this out.
Please help me think this through. And, if it is a parasite, how do I treat it? I am new to bettas, and have never had a parasite problem, so I'm kinda clueless.
Poor Daisy. I can tell she's uncomfortable. Thanks for your help.
10-17-2012, 02:17 PM #2
It sounds like your fish has two problems. Constipation is an issue with bettas, and can easily lead to organ damage and dropsy. If the fish has a pineconed appearance when viewed from above, it is probably already too late. If not, try feeding microwaved peas for a while to see if the constipation clears up. As for the parasites, soaking pellets in garlic extract will take care of them, but do this after the bloating has been fixed. It is very important to not overfeed bettas.
10-17-2012, 02:52 PM #3
I fear it is already too late. She's in an epsom salt bath now, and the bloating is much worse, with a slight pineconing. I will put her back in the tank and hopefully she will be as comfortable as possible there until she passes.
This is terrible. I have to do this better next time, and hope the next fish doesn't come with these problems....I sincerely think she came to us with parasites and was already sick.
10-17-2012, 03:51 PM #4
The best way to try and avoid this the next time is to take your time checking a new fish out before buying.
There are members here who will visit their LFS several times to check on fish they are interested in to make sure they appear healthy. Sometimes, however, just the stress of putting them in a new tank can bring on illness along with feeding too much.
I don't know how long you've had this fish but it's usually recommended to not feed a fish for a day or two to let it adjust to its new surroundings - perhaps that might help you for the next time - sorry to hear your betta isn't doing well - that's always upsetting.46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
5 gal QT
Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in
10-17-2012, 04:49 PM #5
10-17-2012, 05:09 PM #6
0Originally Posted by bethyMT
This is a rather safe way to treat any newly imported fish, as a prophylactic, just as one would use a de-wormer. It's not only an extremely cheap way to treat fish, the active ingredients are readily available world-wide, and it's also much safer than using most forms of medication. Unlike most medications, there should be no worries about flagellates/pathogens building up a resistance to it, and excess magnesium is easily flushed from a fishes system.
For a 3% solution of Magnesium sulphate, add 1 level tablespoon (15 grams) magnesium sulphate to 500 milliliters of distilled water. Stir, and it's good to go.
Use an eye dropper or pipette to add to pellet food (or any other food that will readily absorb it), and stop dripping water once the pellets become saturated. Use only enough water to saturate the food, with no excess water, so that the water soluble vitamins in the food remain intact. Feed twice a day, for 3-5 days. (I went with 5 days)
In extreme cases, the oral solution could be administered to a fish via a pipette.Just make sure to use a flexible tip so as not to damage the fishes esophagus when squirting the solution down the fishes throat. Only a small amount is required, but repeat daily until the fish is accepting pre-soaked pellets, and continue treatment for 5 days.
10-17-2012, 07:01 PM #7
andreahp, I am still learning so much about this hobby. Unfortunately I am learning quite a bit by screwing up. I will indeed pay more attention to the health of the fish before I buy it next time. I went to petsmart today and observed the female bettas for a while. Daisy definitely was beginning to bloat when she came to us. I made the mistake of feeding her right away, and already she was spitting out food.
So I think she was doomed. My actions certainly didn't help.
I do love the intelligence of the bettas, and I will have another female someday. But first I have to research what to do so I don't kill another or select an unhealthy fish. Why oh why can't I just do this the first time? Lesson learned, I guess. But I'm still going to fishkeeper hell.
10-17-2012, 07:37 PM #8
Dont beat yourself up about it. After all, you are here trying to help your fish.
We all make mistakes starting out, and most of us do even years into the hobby. What matters is learning from those mistakes and moving on.
10-17-2012, 08:16 PM #9
I'm sorry to hear about your betta. I've had a couple experiences with dropsy myself recently... My pretty little red female pineconed fully on me. She was one of the lucky ones and survived, though. My big male was not so lucky, but he was also at the end of his lifespan.
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act
10-18-2012, 03:13 PM #10
We euthanized her last night. It had gotten horrible, and I couldn't bear seeing her suffer so.
Thanks everybody for your help.
Now on to disinfection and yet more research into successful betta keeping.