· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Shrimp molting?

1. Default Shrimp molting?

0 Not allowed!
    Question for anyone with freshwater shrimp...

Do you leave the molted exoskeleton in the tank? Do your fish eat it? I tried leaving it in this time and my fish don't seem interested. How often do your shrimp molt? I have a bamboo shrimp.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have cherry shrimps. I leave the exoskeletons in the tank always. I think I read somewhere, that the shrimp can eat it and get some calcium back from those. Donīt know how often they molt, but isnīt it then when they grow out from the old exoskeleton.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just leave it in the tank, the shrimps eat them to get calcium for their new exoskeleton.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

0 Not allowed!
    I leave them in.
    Roll the Dice!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies. My bamboo shrimp is a filter feeder. He has little fans that he holds out and picks particles out of the water so I don't know if he can eat it or not. He never comes down from his perch on his high driftwood anyways (bamboo shrimp seek out an area with high current for feeding, he sits right in front of a powerhead). My fish started to pick on the molt today. I've had him for 8 months and I'm sure he's molted before but I never noticed because I had lots of plants and I just ripped most of them out, so now the tank is pretty bare.

0 Not allowed!
    I leave mine in there - I have amano's - sometimes they get sucked up when I do a water change and sometimes I mistake them for a dead shrimp but I ignore them - I never see any fish/shrimp picking at them.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    leave the skeleton in. bamboo shrimp are much like the vampire shrimp (filter feeders) when the exoseleton is left in the tank.. you may not see it , but when it slowly decomposes the shrimp will gather the reminance of it and use it to their advantage. it does not harm the parameters or anyhing else in the tank. part of the "circle of life" shall i say. you may have noticed that the "fans on the arms of the shrimp may have dissappeared after the molt.. no worries these willl grow back within a week.