· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Finding quality Discus in USA northwest

0 Not allowed!
    So I am finally finishing up my Discus tank, and I'm starting to look around to decide where I am getting them from.

Problem is every LFS in town has terrible choices when it comes to Discus. Most of them don't even carry them. Of the two main shops we use one has a few juveniles none of which look great, and one has both juvies and a couple adults. The second shop has discus that look a little better, and they have a pair that is already mated which is a plus because I would rather get a mated pair of adults than a group of juveniles. Problem is they are all low grade wild colors. Now I am not totally against wilds, but they have to be exceptional specimen to look good enough, and these just aren't really.

The other problem is that I'm not sure if the ones here are domestic bred or not, but it's a pretty strong requirement for me that the ones I get are. I'm pretty sure it would be a good idea to keep captives for my first try.

So instead of settling I want to try and find some I will actually be happy with. Does anyone know of either a shop or a private breeder in Oregon? Or if not, does anyone have experience with a reputable online source for discus? They are so delicate I hesitate to buy them online and put them through shipping.

One option I have that I can still try is to make a trip up to "the wet spot" in Portland. They are a pretty famous FS, and are supposed to be incredible, but they are 2 hrs away from us so I'm not sure if we can make the trip until this semester is over because we are too busy with classes.

My wife really wants these guys, but from what little info I have found on them I gather that they are a fairly rare breed:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3464/...61c6accbba.jpg
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4833899_f260.jpg

Is there any noticeable difference between the four wild types that makes one better than the others? Or is it all just superficial?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here are a couple more examples of the types we are looking for. Pluses are red eyes, strong stress lines, prominent masks, and the types that are almost perfectly circular as opposed to the elongated fish shape.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ysc4oHUnj6...iscusA4++A.jpg

http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/NFI2177.jpg
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephalem
    Here are a couple more examples of the types we are looking for. Pluses are red eyes, strong stress lines, prominent masks, and the types that are almost perfectly circular as opposed to the elongated fish shape.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ysc4oHUnj6...iscusA4++A.jpg

http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/NFI2177.jpg
    Im in Portland and would reccomend The Wet Spot. I buy all of my fish from them. They have healthy Discus there, also a good amount to choose from. The staff there is vary helpfull. You would not be disapointed.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Since shipping live discus is VERY expensive, I'd go with the two hour drive (each way.) Also, a bit hard on the discus (shipping, not a drive.) Of course for a car trip of two hours they would need to be in an insulated carrier.

As for wilds (even mated) - forget it. They need unbelievably clean water that is very low in pH and ultra soft. Otherwise, they will not breed. Also, they would need live food to induce breeding (might accept pellets but getting them to then breed might be an issue.) Wilds are for experts.

The cost of a mated will be very steep. Maybe less than getting ten young (along with cost of massive water changes (well water?) and food for six to ten months until they pair off.)

So the issue is what size tank you have and what are your water parameters - tank breed can handle higher pH but not hard water)? Also, ready for all the massive water changes (breeding or growing out to proper size adults absoultly requires near 100% water changes every-single-day-no-exceptions.) Bigger the tank the more water - however, the smaller the tank can cause crowding and waste buildup issues.)

I think you should avoid wilds (some wilds require water with a pH UNDER 6.0!) All require under 6.5 and ultra-soft water if you want them to breed and/or live long.
    Last edited by Cermet; 10-16-2012 at 05:45 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mac's Discus in Wootenville Washington. Nice fish. On the web at Macs Discus .com or something similar, google them or better yet, ask.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    Since shipping live discus is VERY expensive, I'd go with the two hour drive (each way.) Also, a bit hard on the discus (shipping, not a drive.) Of course for a car trip of two hours they would need to be in an insulated carrier.

As for wilds (even mated) - forget it. They need unbelievably clean water that is very low in pH and ultra soft. Otherwise, they will not breed. Also, they would need live food to induce breeding (might accept pellets but getting them to then breed might be an issue.) Wilds are for experts.

The cost of a mated will be very steep. Maybe less than getting ten young (along with cost of massive water changes (well water?) and food for six to ten months until they pair off.)

So the issue is what size tank you have and what are your water parameters - tank breed can handle higher pH but not hard water)? Also, ready for all the massive water changes (breeding or growing out to proper size adults absoultly requires near 100% water changes every-single-day-no-exceptions.) Bigger the tank the more water - however, the smaller the tank can cause crowding and waste buildup issues.)avatar 197|tai avatar 197

I think you should avoid wilds (some wilds require water with a pH UNDER 6.0!) All require under 6.5 and ultra-soft water if you want them to breed and/or live long.
    Agree with you, that's a fair share

0 Not allowed!
    Check out the forum on simplydiscus.com . You might be able to find a local discus breeder, or find a local discus group.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    While I agree totaly with korith, don't sleep on the wet spot mentioned in post #3. You owe it to yourself to at least ck out the site. I used to order from foster/smith but once I found these guys I've never bought from anybody else.

Of course I've never bought Discus.

By the way korith I'm happy the Bulldogs crushed Florida on Saturday and brought them back down to earth. Plus it opened the door for my fighting Irish to move up in the rankings. If your not a sports fan just disregard this section.
    Last edited by steeler58; 10-30-2012 at 12:57 AM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Actually there is a great little shop in Gresham just above portland and the wet spot... god im blanking on the name but I got 6 red turqs for 12 bucks a fish 3in size and they are now plates in a friends tank. I moved from there in October last year. Family Pet 11916 Northeast Halsey Street, Portland, OR. No hormone, disease free and the guys there know their stuff (exept they disagree with me on water changes) but they sell some GREAT fish and I have never had a death from there. THey dont have the Wet Spots selection but they beat their prices hands down.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's