· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Setting up a 40 gallon long

0 Not allowed!
    I am picking up a 40 gallon long tomorrow that I am getting a great deal on. I am not planing on getting it going right away. I need to gather the rest of what I need for it. It is going to be a planted tank for sure. That's all I know for now.

Questions I have are should I go with a canister filter of some sort? I was looking at the Fluval 406 is that enough or should I consider something else? I know nothing about canister filters so is there anything special I need to consider when looking at them?

What's the general opinion on inline heaters? Love em or hate em? If so what's a good one for my setup? Or if not inline then what? If I go with an in tank heaer should I go with 1 or 2?

I was thinking about going with a 48" Nova Extreme SLR 108w T5ho fixture. I have the 24" model on my 20gal tank and love it.

I am also thinking of getting a couple of the truelumen led moon lights to link up for a nice evening light.

Anything I am overlooking? Or that I should do differently?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I was to go with 2 HOB filters which are the best to use? AC 70's enough? Or should i go bigger?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    2 Ac70s should be fine for the tank. Or a canister an HOB combo, you can have a fluval 306 and an AC70.

Inline heaters, though i never have had them, i think they are generally better than others as you'll get more even heating through-out the tank.

the T5-HO are alright, or i guess it all depends on what plants you will have. 108w of lighting for that much height is i think very high and you might need CO2 for that.

and lastly, i don't like having night lights, though if you want one then go ahead. Though you should only open this light when you want to watch the fish at night, don't always leave it open as the fish needs total darkness as well.

hope that helps.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Any other thoughts out there? I really want to make sure we do this one right and not have to go back and fix things. I am even going to do a fishless cycle this time. Trying to learn from the mistakes made with our 20 gallon tank.