· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I think I like the Orange Von rio (flame tetra) and the bloodfin tetra's the best.
    cherry barbs are cool, but not sure their ability in my current set up.

i'd also like to keep in mine the centerpiece fish to get. oddly enough petco is having a steal deal on the firemouth's

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I realy like Bloodfins, they are one of the best schoolers you can buy. They stay close to each other even when thier not threatened.

The Firemouth will get to 6" and supposed to be peaceful to tank mates except during spawning but it sounds like you only going to keep one so that won't be a problem. I don't know if you wanted a fish this big.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking for a good school in terms of #'s but also colors. so just something that contrasts the golden brown of my silver tips, so either of these two seem the best IMO. but if others have experience with any others on the list i'm all for that.

I did see how big they get, and not sure if thats good or bad w/ my tetra's. I dont want them to be snacks later on down the road.
    But i'm very open to a bigger fish. and ya, only 1 of these. i've had bad luck w/ pairs and not attempting that right now.

0 Not allowed!
    Have you considered an angelfish for a centerpiece? They are out and about all the time versus firemouths who spend most of their time in a cave.

I have cherry barbs and not too excited about them lately. However, they are in a tank with a few rainbows (that I am getting rid of this week) so maybe they will come out of hiding more when the rainbows are gone. You don't want the boesemani. They are nice fish but rainbows are wonky fish and need a bigger tank. I only have 3 in my 55 but too wild in there so they are going to my sons house.

So that will leave you with:

14 silver tip tetras
    7 spotted cory's
    1 rubber lip pleco
    2 male swordtails
    flame tetra's......what.....10-14 maybe?

I actually think that enough fish myself without a centerpiece fish.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i've contemplated the angel, but doesn't it eat plants? or like to chew on them?

i'm also willing to sacrifice the 2nd school for this centerpiece fish.

good point on the rainbows-some reason I had in my head these were the smaller variety, but the do need way more space than I have.

0 Not allowed!
    Angels IME do not bother plants.

I do have a math question:
    40breeder=45gallons
    = What?

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great math question cuz it confuses me. lol
    The tank is called a 40gallon breeder, but you put in the dimensions of that tank and it come out to be 44.9gallons.

and good to hear on the angel not bothering my plants!

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank
    Great math question cuz it confuses me. lol
    The tank is called a 40gallon breeder, but you put in the dimensions of that tank and it come out to be 44.9gallons.
    Yeah, I like those and wish I still had mine but I had never run the dimensions before and it is 44.9 .

I learned something today, TYVM
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not a problem! It was a nice discovery about the tank.

are there any suggestions besides the firemouth and angel?

0 Not allowed!
    If you still want a recommendation on schooling fish, I'd suggest Serpae Tetras. I've kept them in two tanks (a 10gal and now they're in my 75gal). They were fine in both, very beautiful and very active. They seem to love to play.

However, if you're going with an Angel, I've heard that they could be a problem with Serpaes, due to their being nippy. However (again), I've never seen my Serpaes get nippy with anything, besides each other - and that's in a group of 3-4 and a school of 9-10.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.