· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Safe Arowana starvation.

0 Not allowed!
    Well my LFS was feeding live fish to my Silver Arowana when I bought him and hence I have been doing the same and it has been around 4 months since I got him.

He has been on a diet of Mollies mostly and goldfish occasionally.
    I know feeder fish might carry a host of infection but I had no choice as he wasn't accepting any other diet other than live fish.

I tried feeding him freeze dried prawns but he used to spit it out.

Of course keeping in mind of a balanced and nutritious diet, I have decided to feed him Hikari foodsticks.

So would my Carnivore who has been strictly on a diet of live food for a year at the LFS and 4 months with me since I bought him accept foodsticks ?

I know it will take time for him to adjust to the new diet.

My LFS said they mostly accept foodsticks after 3 days of starvation.

Assuming he doesn't eat after 3 days, what is the safest amount of time an Aro can starve. A week , 3 weeks, a Month?

He's 11 inches right now, I fed him last yesterday and will be getting Foodsticks today.

Any advise would be great

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    a healthy aro that size should be able to easily go without eating for a week or more.

have you tried live insects? crickets, superworms, and roaches are rarely turned down by arowanas. feeding a variety of insects that the arowana will love usually makes it super easy to get them to hit any food after awhile.

if you are set on feeding him the hikari sticks, it is also a great food, but before long it will not fill your arowana. the bigger they get, the less likely they will want sticks. my aros have all grown out of eating sticks.

have you tried fresh raw market shrimp? you can chop it up into bite sized pieces for him. getting him on market shrimp will save you a fortune in the long run and is the staple food of most large aros. if he won't accept a chunk of shrimp at first, try putting the shrimp on the end of a skewer and wiggle the shrimp a bit.

there's a whole section in the sticky about aro size/diet
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=96094

hope this helps!
    Last edited by Crispy; 10-15-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Crispy

I don’t know a whole lot about arrows having never kept them. I do have marine predatory fish. When I first got my lion fish, he was used to live foods as well and did not want to east anything else. I had to get some fresh frozen foods and using a pair of tweezers, wiggle it in front of him. I had to make to food look somewhat alive in order for him to start eating it. Maybe this could worth a try ???
    Last edited by Cliff; 10-15-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    try the insects as the above said, had to do mine that way, got him from LFS were they feed him platties.. guess it was more entertaining that way for customers watching

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I have bought the food sticks and dropped one in the tank (After starving him for 1 day). He took a few bites at it and spat it out.

I tried wriggling the food sticks today with tweezers and he again took a bite and kept it in his mouth and I was getting euphoric hoping he would swallow it but he again spat it out (This is after 3 days of starvation).

Any ideas I have to feed him the sticks as I don't want to try feeder fish again.
    Well the FF are grown in very poor conditions and it is great to see that he hasn't got any infections so far (even after feeding them for almost 4 months).

As far as insects go I guess I have no luck, they aren't sold in any shop alive or dead, I don't want to try wild insects although there are a thousand crickets in the forest reserve near my house but they are all wild obviously and I have no idea how to catch them and they may be infected just as the feeder fish.

Not to mention the reserve is also filled with snakes and scorpions and I don't want to get bit playing cricket

So any ideas to get him eat the food sticks, I don't want to starve him for more than a week
    Last edited by fishery; 10-17-2012 at 10:44 AM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    dude don't go over 2 weeks but, he shouldn't take that long, raw shrimp was the kicker for my fish it got them off live food in no time

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well he is showing interest but is just not swallowing it, I ll wait for a week at most or I ll have to go back to feeder fish as a last resort.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    don't give up so easily. like mentioned above, get some fresh raw market shrimp. shell them and cut them up into little strips/chunks. if he doesn't accept them at first, try wiggling them infront of him.

he should have been eating sticks long ago, you can always stuff other foods with the sticks.

work on a good source for live insects. even wildcaught insects will be better than feeder fish.
    Last edited by Crispy; 10-18-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    Thar she blows!!!