· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Substrate Help!

1. Default Substrate Help!

0 Not allowed!
    Can plants be planted in gravel? Its not dirt or anything, but my LFS says that they'd be okay. I have low light plants, and I'm looking at getting a new light but for now I want to place the plants I have.

Also, I have 2 Banana Plants. Do those stay on top of the substrate or should they be planted too?

1/2 Gal. Vase Veil Tail Betta (Ty) -- My little sister's
    1 Gal. Vase Veil Tail Betta (Felix)
    10 Gal. Fancy Guppies, 11 Ghost Shrimp, 1 Oto Cat
    15 Gal. 1 Grey Marble Angel, 5 Peppered Corys, 3 HY511 Tetras, 2 Oto Cats
    40 Gal. 2 Gold Pearl-scale Angels, 3 Sparkling Gouramis, 2 C120 Corys, 2 Peppered Corys, 1 Axel Rodi Cory, 5 Oto Cats

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshineb
    Can plants be planted in gravel? Its not dirt or anything, but my LFS says that they'd be okay. I have low light plants, and I'm looking at getting a new light but for now I want to place the plants I have.

Also, I have 2 Banana Plants. Do those stay on top of the substrate or should they be planted too?
    Yes, they can be planted in gravel. There are multiple ways to fertilize your plants since you are not using dirt or a substrate designed for plants.

I would plant the Banana Plants towards the front of the tank. The "banana" part of the plant is a root that is only partially planted in the substrate. They can grow fully planted, or not.

EDIT: Oops...I quoted you. Someone's gonna blow a fuse.
    Last edited by AllenIsbell; 10-21-2012 at 07:01 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    You can put plants in gravel. If you have root feeding plants you will have to also use root tabs for the plants as the gravel will not provide all of the elements the plants need
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! Also, what are some plants/mosses that would form a type of carpet in my tank?

40 Gal. 2 Gold Pearl-scale Angels, 3 Sparkling Gouramis, 2 C120 Corys, 2 Peppered Corys, 1 Axel Rodi Cory, 5 Oto Cats

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    You can put plants in gravel. If you have root feeding plants you will have to also use root tabs for the plants as the gravel will not provide all of the elements the plants need
    Could I mix dirt with the necessary nutrients with the gravel? And would I need to do anything to maintain the substrate?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You don't have to mix dirt in. You can use These:

http://www.petco.com/product/112621/...ertilizer.aspx

There are also liquid fertilizers that you can use. I don't know which if better of the two, though. Someone else can chime in for that information.

What do you mean "maintain the substrate?"

0 Not allowed!
    You don't need dirt for low demanding plants, and I would not suggest adding it to a exsisting and cycled tank with fish either.

You could add some plant substrate, like flourite, but the root tabs would be the easiest solution for root feeding plants
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, and does anyone know where to get some driftwood? Sorry I'm asking so many questions I just don't have any clue about this plant stuff

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Check with your local LFS.